Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13t-4000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

When I first got my laptop, I would click on the battary icon in the tray and it would give me a time remaining estimate as well as the percentage.  I have since had to reinstall windows 8.1 and no longer have the battery time remaining estimate, just the percentage.  I have installed all the latest drivers from the support site and everything works fine except for that.

I have tried every version of the BIOS available on the support site and reinstalled serveral times.  I also tried running a battery check which came back fine. 

Any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello tm200

The Battery Time Remaining information has been removed from BIOS F.11.

The battery time estimator basically looking at what you’re doing right now and give an estimated remaining time. It was common for the readout to go from 8 hours to 16 hours in a matter of minutes. This might cause more customer confusion than it would solve.

The trend of mobile devices intended last for whole day is try not to estimate their battery life. For example, iPhones, iPads, Android phones, tablets, etc. all don’t try to estimate. They might give insight into your past usage, but they won’t try to project the future. 

Thanks

Wayne

I am a HP employee.
I am speaking for myself, not HP.

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
HP Recommended

@tm200

Hello,

I experienced the same issue with my Spectre x360 and was able to resolve by changing the Battery Plan in Windows for the notebook.

Cna you change the battery plan and see if it resolves?

What's new in managing power settings

I am an HP employee.
Make it easier for others to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

That didn't work.  I tried changing the different power plans.  I also tried installing the HP energy star power plan and that didn't work either.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

HP Recommended

Hello tm200

The Battery Time Remaining information has been removed from BIOS F.11.

The battery time estimator basically looking at what you’re doing right now and give an estimated remaining time. It was common for the readout to go from 8 hours to 16 hours in a matter of minutes. This might cause more customer confusion than it would solve.

The trend of mobile devices intended last for whole day is try not to estimate their battery life. For example, iPhones, iPads, Android phones, tablets, etc. all don’t try to estimate. They might give insight into your past usage, but they won’t try to project the future. 

Thanks

Wayne

I am a HP employee.
I am speaking for myself, not HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks. I had a feeling that might have been the case.

HP Recommended

Most users understand that the battery time remaining was just an estimate based on current use.  I always found it helpful, even if it isn't 100% accurate.  It would be greatly appreciated if the battery time remaining could brought back in future Bios releases.

I would also like the option to turn off the light for mute active, similar to the solution for keyboard backlight off.

Many thanks,

BTGforHP

HP Recommended

I have a new 4195dx Spectre Ultrabook and it shows "calculating" forever, it never shows any estimated battery remaining time. I have opened a case on this with HP and have an escalation manager looking into this.

I would hope that HP development would at least remove the "calculating" word that is there all the time. It gives the end user the impression that something is wrong. Calculating implies something will be presented when finished calculating.

On HP's co-designed with Microsoft HALO system this is unacceptable.

My Microsoft Surfacew Book Pro 3 has this and it shows a time remaining for charging and doe discharge,,,,why cant HP get this right?

I am waiting on a solution from HP. They wanted me to send the system back for repair, even after I told them I have seen this on two brand new, and reset the system seveal times....

At Best Buy the floor demo systems exhibit this same issue.

Please HP are you listening,,,,fix this.

Alex

HP Recommended

I fully agree on this. It is not up to a hardware manufacturer to disable software features. If we wanted that, we would have bought a Mac. As long as Microsoft foresees a remaining time indication, a hardware manufacturer should suport it to my opinion. What totally beats me is why you are removing a useful feature that was already there with a BIOS update. I could live with the fact that you disable this feature by default on new machines, but I totally don't get it that you simply remove this good feature that DOES have an added value for many users, even when it is not very accurate.

Let's place this under a 'mistake' that I hope will be rectified in a future BIOS update.

Regards

HP Recommended

The statement that phones and tablets don't project the future is just simply wrong:

Android:

andl.screenshot07-100525484-large.png

Windows Phone:

battery-saver-settings-screen_InvariantCulture_Default.png

HP Recommended

@adydula wrote:

I have a new 4195dx Spectre Ultrabook and it shows "calculating" forever, it never shows any estimated battery remaining time. I have opened a case on this with HP and have an escalation manager looking into this.

I would hope that HP development would at least remove the "calculating" word that is there all the time. It gives the end user the impression that something is wrong. Calculating implies something will be presented when finished calculating.

Alex

I also just got a Spectre x360 and noticed the "Calculating..." on the battery remaining page. I thought something was wrong and that's how I ended up here. This is obviously a software issue and can be easily fixed by HP. I can't believe it has been going on for months and still not fixed.

Even removing the "Calculating..." wording from there would be good enough for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.