Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

The TDP limit is usually inherent in the design specifications (microcode) of the processor.  Unless the processor was 'unlocked' from the supplier (Intel/AMD) it can't be over-ridden. 

Many desktop computer BIOS and UEFI let you by-pass them because, firstly, SOME desktop processors allow for it. The thing is, those systems' cooling capacity, as well as power supply capacity, can generally be readily upgraded to handle the thermal and elecrtical load.  But that's not the case in laptops that are engineered and spec'd very much closer to limits for reasons of battery life and weight (critical discriminators in this market segment) as well as cost.

Even if you could do it you'd probably wind up bricking it in short order, so that's why HP wouldn't expose those settings for us to fiddle with.  If, perchance, you have an unlocked processor in your laptop: many enthusiast communities have produced utilities that will fiddle with processor registers to bypass the restrictions and force multipliers after boot-up.  If you're gutsy and have the disposable income, I suggest you go search there for your holy grail.

HP Recommended

@BuddyWh wrote:

The TDP limit is usually inherent in the design specifications (microcode) of the processor.  Unless the processor was 'unlocked' from the supplier (Intel/AMD) it can't be over-ridden. 

Many desktop computer BIOS and UEFI let you by-pass them because, firstly, SOME desktop processors allow for it. The thing is, those systems' cooling capacity, as well as power supply capacity, can generally be readily upgraded to handle the thermal and elecrtical load.  But that's not the case in laptops that are engineered and spec'd very much closer to limits for reasons of battery life and weight (critical discriminators in this market segment) as well as cost.

Even if you could do it you'd probably wind up bricking it in short order, so that's why HP wouldn't expose those settings for us to fiddle with.  If, perchance, you have an unlocked processor in your laptop: many enthusiast communities have produced utilities that will fiddle with processor registers to bypass the restrictions and force multipliers after boot-up.  If you're gutsy and have the disposable income, I suggest you go search there for your holy grail.

Your explanation is clear, but all of this would have made sense to me if, as you have said, the cooling capacity of the laptop could not handle the temperature increase. But I can assure you that the cooling fans of my laptop are NOT running at their full speed when the GPU hits 67 degrees Celsius. So I'm assuming that, if I surpass that temperature, they would spin up faster and handle the higher temperature. What I'm trying to say is that my laptop doesn't use all of its cooling capacity. So, if I can't put the temperature limit higher, I would at least try to cool better my laptop by using its own fans at their best capacity. And I'm not allowed even to do that!

HP Recommended

Would you have accepted an answer that the cooling system doesn't have capacity to handle it? I don't think so, and besides that I'm not sure it doesn't since I'm not familiar with the designed capacities of my own laptop let alone yours!

The real answer in my response is that the processor vendor doubtless doesn't allow for it, i.e., it's 'locked'.  If it's intel I'd be 90% certain, with AMD more like 50% certain even though that's the case with the A10-9600p in mine.  So even if HP DID expose those settings (which I'm not suggesting they ever would, that's not HP's style) they wouldn't work.

I'm not going to rag on HP for not opening their BIOS/UEFI for such adventuring simply because they are well known for it.  

So what it's getting down to: visit the many online enthusiast communities.  You'll get more detailed information including whether it's even possible and if so you'll find a lot of resources including the utilities I commented on and others including (probably heresy in this board) hacked BIOS/UEFI that expose settings HP hid (or instructions on how to hack yours!).

I won't give you any more specific information than that simply because this isn't that kind of discussion board, and I'm not really familiar enough with doing it on modern laptops myself.  But I feel hardware modding is a cool hobby.  Now comes the important disclaimer:  don't do it on hardware you make your living on. And only if you've the disposable income to replace it when you cut loose that smoky devil lurking inside all electronics.

HP Recommended

I have an Intel processor. And I searched for information about modifying the BIOS, but couldn't find any. I'm not asking for the moon, I'm just asking for control on the speed of the fans (without exceeding their mechanichal limits), there is no risk of breaking anything... I think this is way too precautionary from HP. There are advanced users that can handle this situations at their own risk, so why limiting so much the possibilities? An advanced section with a disclaimer about its use would be optimal in this case.

HP Recommended

... I'm just asking for control on the speed of the fans (without exceeding their mechanichal limits), there is no risk of breaking anything...

HP is naturally very cautionary about their answers, we can infer a variety of possible reasons.

You might search for a utility called SpeedFan which i believe does what you wish on Intel hardware: it provides low-level control of the system cooling fans.   I'm not sure it will work for you but it may be worth a try (if nothing else it will get you started down the rabbit hole of over clocking enthusiasts.)

Even if it does provide control of fans it probably won't do what you really want, which is get the processor to exceed it's TDP rating by not throttling back it's clock speed.  TDP computation is more complicated than simply reading the temperature of the processor so even if you keep it very cool it won't stop the throttling.  You have to fiddle with the processors APM or P-State registers.

HP Recommended

I tried SpeedFan. Unfortunately it can read the fans speed (that's why I know they're not working at full speed) and various temperatures but can't control them.

My temperature issue anyway is not on the CPU, but on the graphic card. It's the graphic card that reduces its performance when the 67°C temperature is reached. And that's what bothers me. Graphic Cards are DESIGNED to work at temperatures that are higher than that, and nVidia support confirmed my assumption. I asked them if this was a limit imposed by the graphic card itself, but they answered that (as I expected) the graphic card is in its "natural habitat" at 67°C and there is no point in reducing its performance to keep it at that temperature.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.