Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion DV6

I'm sure you've seen this thread so many times throughout the years, but I figured I'd bite and see if someone can help me. Someone in my family really likes this laptop, but it stopped working for them a few years back and I figured I'd fix it for them for a nice Xmas present.

I found out it needed a new AC adapter, battery, and the charging jack was faulty. So I replaced all of those and it booted up after charging it for a bit. It worked and sounded great. You could hear the fan working, but it was like a whisper.

But after like a day and just by loading into the main desktop the fan goes bonkers. Not only does it sound really annoying, but I doubt it's good for the laptop. Yeah it's old, but even old things can be fixed more efficiently/effectively. I cleaned the slate by doing a full system restore/default and degfragmented. Nothing, still the same.

So I did some more research. Took the fan out and cleaned it. Wasn't as dusty as I thought it would had been, but it looked like it wasn't spinning correctly even with a good clean so I replaced it. Then I redid the thermal grease (and cleaned off the old stuff that had kind of melted off the edges) I'm a newbie so this is all new territory to me, but I was able to get it done right with enough research.

Still after all this trouble, parts, and spent money the fan is still going nuts just by hitting the power button to boot the laptop. So I went online and did some more digging. Apparently this is a known issue with these kinds of laptops (or still is? since I saw some commenting how their fan is super noisy in threads dated 2019 for newer models)

I also saw some mods stating how a noisy fan is a good sign that the laptops are working right, but that can't be right. If anything it's a good sign of a impending headache. My laptop from 2008 doesn't scream bloody murder like this one does and it's like 4 years older than the DV6 model.

Does anyone have solutions to this? I feel like I did all I could with the hardware and it might be a software issue since it sounded fine-ish when I first booted it up when I replaced the charging jack. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@FederalBlue 

First off, by doing a complete system reset you made the fan problem worse, not better.  The full reset sets the PC back in time and that forces Windows Update to run when the PC is then rebooted.  That drives up the CPU to 100% and drives up the disk utilization to 100%.. Guess what that does to the fan -- it makes it run LOUD!  So basically, you brought that on yourself by doing a software thing (reset) which would have nothing to do with fixing a hardware issue (fan).

I have an older DV6 laptop running Win10 and it does not suffer these fan issues -- anymore.  I replaced the fan years ago because it was starting to wear out and it has been fine ever since.  I get no fan problems with it currently.

Eventually, the Windows Updates will stop, the CPU usage will drop, and the disk utilization will drop -- all contributing to the fan getting quieter.

Also, unlike you, I did not mess with the thermal grease -- as that can cause the problems you are experiencing.  Most folks think the more grease the better; when in fact, the opposite is true.  With modern thermal compound, you only put a very small amount on the processor lid and the spread that out until you can barely see it.  If the grease is too thick, it does not conduct heat well and that will make the processor run hotter, not cooler.  

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.