Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ay138cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I am having a hilarious problem with my laptop keyboard. My laptop is  HP Notebook - 15-ay138cl.

I am facing keyboard issues for 2 days. All the keys are working separately but some combination of Shifts are not working. For example, when I press Shift + 2 which is @ (not wokring) whereas the "2" key and Shift key are working. I am able to type type large alphabets using Shift and some combinational keys also works using Shift but some of the combinations are not working. I tried may online softwares and Hp keyboard checker, all the keys are fine and they are being detected successfully.

External keyboard is working fine. When i tried from external keyboard, holding "Shift" from one keyboard and "2" from other keyboard type "@" in both cases ( both combination with internal and external). 

Can any computer geek help me on this ?

What is the issue , is it the problem with Windows? What should I do? Should I re-install windows ? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@aqeel96

Greetings!

Welcome back to the HP Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand, there's an issue with the keyboard.

Don't worry, I'm here to help! To better assist you -

1) Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own before posting here? 

2) Were there any hardware or software changes made?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps -

1) In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
2) Double-click Keyboards.
3) Right click on the keyboard drivers and click on uninstall.
4) Restart the computer. 

If the issue still persists, run the keyboard test -

1) Shutdown the computer. 
2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 
3) Press F2 once. 
4) Go to Component test. 
5) From the list, run the Keyboard test. 

Let me know how that goes.

To thank us for our efforts to help you, click here to access your public post and Select - "Accept as solution" and click on the purple "Thumbs up". 

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried every second thing from the internet. All the keys are working even with HEFI diagnosis tool by HP.

Reinstalling the windows and keeping the driver to old versions fix the issue. This issue was due to the fact that drivers of touch pad and keyboard got updated automatically via windows update and it creates problem. 

HP Recommended

@aqeel96

Happy to hear that you were able to fix the issue 🙂 I truly appreciate your time and patience with us.

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.