Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
I want to upgrade my Pavilion 15-p011tx memory. It currently has 4gb ram. There's an extra slot and i want to put in 8gb so 12g all together. Is that fine? Is there a maximum(gb) capacity? Could i put the highest ram that i could buy and it would be fine?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

See p. 116 here:

Service Manual

You realize that accessing the memory slots will mean removing the motherboard, right? I am pretty sure you would not be in warranty so that is not an issue but it is a tricky thing. 

The Manual says 12 gigs is the maximum, but in reality the max is 16 gigs. That would be 2 x 8 gig DDR3L-1600. I would either add a 4 gig for a total of 8 or best, put in 2 identical 8 gig modules to have 16 so you only have to go in there once. 

The reason to have 2 identical modules is dual channel memory performance. 2 identical modules will run about 10% faster than 2 mismatched modules so for a few reasons 8 gigs is likely to outperform 12. 

4 GB memory module 691740-005

8 GB memory module 693374-005

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-PC3-12800-KVR16LS11/dp/B00CQ35HBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...

16 gigs is about $65 right now which is a very low historical price point for memory. 

Post back if you need any more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

See p. 116 here:

Service Manual

You realize that accessing the memory slots will mean removing the motherboard, right? I am pretty sure you would not be in warranty so that is not an issue but it is a tricky thing. 

The Manual says 12 gigs is the maximum, but in reality the max is 16 gigs. That would be 2 x 8 gig DDR3L-1600. I would either add a 4 gig for a total of 8 or best, put in 2 identical 8 gig modules to have 16 so you only have to go in there once. 

The reason to have 2 identical modules is dual channel memory performance. 2 identical modules will run about 10% faster than 2 mismatched modules so for a few reasons 8 gigs is likely to outperform 12. 

4 GB memory module 691740-005

8 GB memory module 693374-005

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-PC3-12800-KVR16LS11/dp/B00CQ35HBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...

16 gigs is about $65 right now which is a very low historical price point for memory. 

Post back if you need any more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended
I already openned it. It is tricky. Lol

Thank you so much for your help.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.