Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6t-7000
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have the exact same problem as this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Battery-test-passed-but-wont-c...

Except I didn't upgrade to Win 10. One day, using the laptop on battery, the whole thing just shut down. It was a rather hot day, but system temperature wasn't more than 80*C. I couldn't boot it back up on battery, had to use AC adapter.

I did battery test and it passed with flying color. Battery 3 yr old Duracell, but barely degraded (battery test below). I don't understand how it could pass every test but still doesn't work. Seems like no current between battery and laptop, either something bad with the battery circuit board or the motherboard?

Battery currently holding 91%. It says "plugged in, charging" but it isn't charging. If I pull the AC plug, instant shutdown. Also notice, once I plug the AC in, it instantly boots even without pressing the power button.

Tried:

1) Hard reset

2) reflashed Bios

I'm not sure if I should buy a new battery b/c it might be the mobo that is damaged?

Warranty Type: 1
Cycle count: 41 / 300

Manufacturer: 13-15

Battery Age: 1001 days

Serial Number: 49175 11/09/2016

Temperature: 26 °C

Design Capacity: 5200 mAh

Full Charge Capacity: 4986 mAh (95%)

Remaining Capacity: 4532 mAh

Current: 0 mA

Terminal Voltage: 12203 mV

Design Voltage: 11100 mV

Cell Voltage 1: 4071 mV

Cell Voltage 2: 4067 mV

Cell Voltage 3: 4065 mV

Cell Voltage 4: 0 mV

AC Power: Yes

CT Number: N/A

Help much Appreciated!! Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So much for the help community. And where are all these HP gurus? 

Yeah, they'll just tell you to buy a new battery or a new laptop. Useless.

I'm going to tell you guys the answers, HP going to hate this.

Modern Lithium Ion batteries comes with smart circuit boards. These boards have a lot of protection breakers to prevent fire, explosion, etc... However, unlike a building breaker, you can't reset it with a button or something. Probably because they want you to buy new batteries.

There is a way to reset it though, yet not a single HP assistant has ever bother to tell anyone. 

1) Open your battery. Use an exacto blade + flat  head screw driver. Refer to youtube vids.

2) You do not need to remove the cell or the circuit board.

3) Connect a wire from the + pin on the connector to the + end of the lithium cells. Some batteries reset is on the - end, so do that too by connecting the wire to the - pin on the connector and the - end of the lithium cell. Do one or the other, not both at the same time! MAKE SURE you know which pins are + and - and which end of the cells are + and -. ONLY + to + OR - to -. 

That's it. Battery chip reset. Run battery diagnostic. Everything good. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

So much for the help community. And where are all these HP gurus? 

Yeah, they'll just tell you to buy a new battery or a new laptop. Useless.

I'm going to tell you guys the answers, HP going to hate this.

Modern Lithium Ion batteries comes with smart circuit boards. These boards have a lot of protection breakers to prevent fire, explosion, etc... However, unlike a building breaker, you can't reset it with a button or something. Probably because they want you to buy new batteries.

There is a way to reset it though, yet not a single HP assistant has ever bother to tell anyone. 

1) Open your battery. Use an exacto blade + flat  head screw driver. Refer to youtube vids.

2) You do not need to remove the cell or the circuit board.

3) Connect a wire from the + pin on the connector to the + end of the lithium cells. Some batteries reset is on the - end, so do that too by connecting the wire to the - pin on the connector and the - end of the lithium cell. Do one or the other, not both at the same time! MAKE SURE you know which pins are + and - and which end of the cells are + and -. ONLY + to + OR - to -. 

That's it. Battery chip reset. Run battery diagnostic. Everything good. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.