Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ProBook 450
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

When th epower button is pressed, the CPU fan starts and runs excessively.

The CAPS lock button flashes, the power light for the power adapter flashes, and that's it.

I cannot get into the BIOS by pressing F10, and nothing is displayed on screen.

There are no peripheral devices plugged in.

I have removed the battery and mains adapter and press and held the power button for more than 15 seconds as instructed in another article - same symptoms, ie, CAPS lock button flashes, the power light for the power adapter flashes, and that's it.

I have removed and reseated the memory module and and tried starting the machine - same symptoms, ie, CAPS lock button flashes, the power light for the power adapter flashes, and that's it.

I have removed the hard drive and and tried starting the machine - same symptoms, ie, CAPS lock button flashes, the power light for the power adapter flashes, and that's it.

I've reassembled the machine nd and tried starting the again - same symptoms, ie, CAPS lock button flashes, the power light for the power adapter flashes, and that's it.

I've even tried NOT using the power adapter, just turning the machine on with the battery in place - ame symptoms, ie, CAPS lock button flashes, the power light for the power adapter flashes, and that's it.

Does anyone have any idea how I can at least get into the BIOS or run any of the diagnostics tests? If I could get that far, it would be a start.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It is a dead motherboard. Sorry. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

It is a dead motherboard. Sorry. 

HP Recommended

Thanks Huffer.

I didn't see that one coming. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.