Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 455 G8 Notebook PC (1Y9H2AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello everyone,

I have this ProBook 455G8 whose official specs say that the maximum RAM is 32GB and the maximum internal storage suggests 1TB.

Right now I have 32GB RAM installed and it's been running fine, but I'd like to upgrade to 2x32GB for a 64GB capacity.

1. Does anyone know IF I can upgrade to 64GB (or why not)? If I can, can someone please share the recommended RAM modules?

2. I am also thinking of upgrading to 2TB NVMe and I have my eyes fixed on the WD Black SN770  or the Crucial T500  which seems like is faster than the WD Black, but almost the same price range. Am I asking for what the machine isn't quite capable of taking advantage of? I need something that makes economic sense.

I tested some 2TB drive in the laptop and I was able to install Windows 11 on it and use the whole disk capacity.

All your insights and advice will be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi

The machine will support max 64GB of DDR4 3200MHz RAM (2x 32GB) even if the service manual mentions 32GB

Example

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/probook-455-g8

There is no limit to the capacity of the M2 drive, so you can even insert a 4TB drive with no problems.

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on yes for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the response.

As I was waiting, I did see other posts related to this discussion that mentioned running the command for testing the maximu supported memory:

```

C:\Users\odhiambo>wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx
MaxCapacityEx

```

Do you still believe that the above figure (32GB) will still allow me to install 64GB?

Thank you very much for the advice on the storage. I saw HP selling such a machine with 8TB on Amazon which left me in shock! Much as I do not ever need 8TB (or even 4TB), I wonder why HP has very misleading specs on their product pages when they have dedicated resources who should produce accurate information.

HP Recommended

Hello Odhiambo0.

As Iomare EXPERT Level 15 explained above, you can upgrade your system to 64GB DDR4 RAM. HP has taken an interesting approach to the whole UPGRADES issue by only mentioning on its documentation the RAM and storage DRIVE capacities that they themselves offer. To further confuse customers, on recent laptop series, the SMBIOS data (which is read with the command you used) is also filled in with these "HP Official" numbers. A somewhat surprising case of this was reported some months ago, when a user with a powerful Omen (13th gen i9 Intel) came back with the same ridiculous 32GB number for the DDR5 limit, and then successfully upgraded to 64GBs.......

Have fun upgrading!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.