Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Probook 4740s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I bought new SSD disc Crucial MX300 2.5-inch SSD (275 GB) for my laptop: HP Probook 4740s.  When I try to boot new Windows 10 system the installation process started to freeze and stopped with Windows 10 logo and preloader icon. I checked disc (it starts when I try live GParted Linux distribution. I can add partition etc.). Do you have any suggestions why Windows does not start to install properly ? Can it be SSD format problem or   SSD disc Crucial MX300 2.5-inch SSD is not good for my laptop 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
I having the same issues with the same notebook (i7 version). I've bought a new SSD drive (Crucial MX300 2.5-inch 525 GB) to replace the current HDD and decided to upgrade to Windows 10 (clean install), since Probook 4740s is officially supported with drivers available and all. Well, I've been trying for 3 days now without any success. I've tried installing Windows 10 Pro form a CD, an USB thumb drive, both 64 bit and 32 bit versions. I've tried again after updating the SSD firmware. also made sure that I have the latest motherboard BIOS version. Tried every possible option in BIOS (SATA set to AHCI 6Mbps, Fast boot Enabled/Disabled, Legacy/UEFI Hybrid/UEFI Native Boot Mode, USB legacy support On/Off). Tried installing Windows 8.1, also no success. I've read many relevant articles and post on the internet. All this effort and I'm still at the beginning. The latest Windows OS I'm able to install on my Probook 4740s is Windows 7. Does anybody know, why Windows 10 install on Probook 4740s?
HP Recommended

Did you initialize the new drive before install attempts? I had that problem: i tried to do a partion and install with the wrong utility and when Igot the right one it wouldn't work until I did a complete initializing, including DiskPart CLEAN, as GPT disk. 

HP Recommended
First of all, thank you for the reply. As I mentioned , I did succeed installing Windows 7 on the SSD (works very fast), so I guess the disk was initialized, also the partitions were created using the Windows installation procedure. I'm wondering why all those steps (creating partitions, formatting and initializing) couldn't be done just by using the Windows installation CD?
HP Recommended

In my case it was because i was cloning the existing OS to the new SSD. For some reason the cloning utility wanted two preexisting partitions and the disk had to be initialized GPT (not MBR) for the UEFI BIOS.

What's really strange is even though it wanted the two partitions it created a new one (the EFI partition) and resized the larger one anyway.  But it all installed correctly for me and i was up and running in short order.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.