Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Probook 650 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, I have an HP ProBook 650 G2 laptop that is experiencing several peculiar issues.

Issue number one: Both the Wi-Fi switch and Audio Mute switch lights remain illuminated even when the laptop has been shut down. The Wi-Fi status light also remains illuminated.

Issue number two: When shut down, the battery drains completely within a few hours.

Issue number three: After making changes in the BIOS, saving those changes, and rebooting the laptop, I am greeted with a black screen, though I can hear the fan spinning. Only way to proceed with booting is turning the laptop off by holding the power button for a few seconds.

It appears the laptop is not shutting down properly. Already disabled fast boot and tested with enabling/disabling various power features in the BIOS.

Any ideas on what might be causing these issues? I've already tried different RAM, a different SSD, operating without the battery, and reinstalled Windows along with all required drivers. The BIOS has also been updated to the most recent version, I also tried older BIOS versions, without any luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

"When shut down, the battery drains completely within a few hours"

That would seem to indicate that the laptop is not shutting down completely.

Try the following:

Create a shutdown shortcut for the desktop.

Right-click an empty space on the desktop and select new>shortcut.

In the dialogue that pops up  type in shutdown /s /t 0 and then select next.

Give your shortcut, such as Windows shutdown and then select finish.

the shortcut will appear on your desktop. 

You can click on it to instantly shutdown your PC.

You can right-click on your new shortcut to make changes, such as choosing an icon that you will remember. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.