Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 8540P EliteBook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bought this computer with no harddrive, standard RAM (2x2GB SODIMM DDR3 204 pin) installed.

Self-installed new Hard Drive (1TB WD 7200RPM Hard Drive), with installed RAM, runs slower than I'd like, but it's passable.

One week later, self-installed Corsair "Valueselect" RAM (2x4GB, 1333 SODIMM DDR3, product number CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9). Computer slows to a barely-working crawl, and if you open more than one tab in a browser or attempt to run something like the first StarCraft 2, God help you, just hard shut down and restart. Reinstalled standard RAM, computer runs ok again. I've seen the specs state that 8gb dual channel is the maximum you can use on this laptop, and that the corsair I selected states that it is compatible. Again, the computer will boot and run, but it is slowwwwwwwwww and will freeze often.

Help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

On HP laptops with Intel Core 1st gen processors as I presume yours has, the system is very finicky about memory. You pretty much must install the HP specified OEM memory modules. We have seen a lot of issues in these models with Kingston Value and Corsair Value Select because they set the timings on that memory for the widest possible application and it just does not play nice with the very specific HP memory parameters. 

This is what HP is listing for 4 gig modules:

4-GB (PC3-12800, 1600-MHz, DDR3) 641369-001

https://www.amazon.com/HP-641369-001-1600Mhz-PC3-12800-memory/dp/B008L325TW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

This is 1.5 volt 1600 mhz memory but will downclock to 1333 in operation. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

On HP laptops with Intel Core 1st gen processors as I presume yours has, the system is very finicky about memory. You pretty much must install the HP specified OEM memory modules. We have seen a lot of issues in these models with Kingston Value and Corsair Value Select because they set the timings on that memory for the widest possible application and it just does not play nice with the very specific HP memory parameters. 

This is what HP is listing for 4 gig modules:

4-GB (PC3-12800, 1600-MHz, DDR3) 641369-001

https://www.amazon.com/HP-641369-001-1600Mhz-PC3-12800-memory/dp/B008L325TW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

This is 1.5 volt 1600 mhz memory but will downclock to 1333 in operation. 

HP Recommended

Thank you sir, ordered and awaiting arrival of new RAM. I'll post the results. Should be here by next week.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.