Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP G42
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I purchased a used laptop, HP G42, and the wifi was working fine, however in the last day or so, it stopped connecting to the internet. I have decided that the adapter died and needed to be replaced.

In my naivity, I "assumed" (maybe a bad idea) that I could just throw another one in from my spare box of parts. NO? Really? I get a message that the wifi adapter isn't supported by the bios? Am I to believe that this is a "proprietary" wifi lan card?

I'm hoping not, but am not feeling the HP love here. :indifferent:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Believe it. Your laptop has the infamous HP "whitelist" that restricts operation to certain specific wireless cards. A compatible card can be found for as little as $5 on amazon.com but its gotta be one of the right ones or you get that message. Don't shoot the messenger, please. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Believe it. Your laptop has the infamous HP "whitelist" that restricts operation to certain specific wireless cards. A compatible card can be found for as little as $5 on amazon.com but its gotta be one of the right ones or you get that message. Don't shoot the messenger, please. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the speedy reply. I had a feeling that would be the answer. I'll just have to dig deeper into the pile of "obsolete" parts........or at the time I figured they were obsolete, everything that is old is new again. :HalfEyes:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.