Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I am also having issues with my keyboard on a brand new HP Envy. The " and @ characters are reversed. After a reset they revert to normal for a short time and then the same thin happens all over again.

I'm also having issues with Microsoft Edge. It will not close using the usual x at top right of window. I have to open task manager and close it from there every time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @ScottA1,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand you are having multiple issues on your HP notebook. Don't worry we'll work on it one by one. Let's start with the keyboard issue:

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

I recommend you try the following steps below and check if that helps. 

  

Your default keyboard layout or input method is the one that’s automatically used with the language you see Windows in (for example, the QWERTY keyboard for American English). If you want to keep your Windows language the same but use a different keyboard automatically, follow these steps: 

  

1. Open Control Panel by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering Control Panel in the search box, and then tapping or clicking Control Panel. 

2. Enter Add a language in the search box and then tap or click Add a language. 

3. Tap or click Advanced settings. 

4. Under Override for default input method, choose the keyboard layout or input method you'd like to be your new default, and then tap or click Save. 

Note 

If you don't see the keyboard layout or input method you want, then you haven't added it to your input method list. For instructions, see the Add a keyboard layout or input method for a language section.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to update the Bios, using this link.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @ScottA1,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand you are having multiple issues on your HP notebook. Don't worry we'll work on it one by one. Let's start with the keyboard issue:

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

I recommend you try the following steps below and check if that helps. 

  

Your default keyboard layout or input method is the one that’s automatically used with the language you see Windows in (for example, the QWERTY keyboard for American English). If you want to keep your Windows language the same but use a different keyboard automatically, follow these steps: 

  

1. Open Control Panel by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering Control Panel in the search box, and then tapping or clicking Control Panel. 

2. Enter Add a language in the search box and then tap or click Add a language. 

3. Tap or click Advanced settings. 

4. Under Override for default input method, choose the keyboard layout or input method you'd like to be your new default, and then tap or click Save. 

Note 

If you don't see the keyboard layout or input method you want, then you haven't added it to your input method list. For instructions, see the Add a keyboard layout or input method for a language section.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to update the Bios, using this link.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So far the @/" issue seems to be OK. This has reverted after hard resets before so time will tell.

Microsoft Egde is still having issues closing. I can only close it by opening the task manager and using the end task function. Nothing else works..

HP Recommended

@ScottA1

Thanks for your reply. 🙂

As @Jeet_singh is out of the office today, I'm responding to your post. Glad to know the keyboard seems to be working fine as of now. 

If the Microsoft Edge browser does not close and each time you have to use the task manager to close it, then I suggest you to perform the steps mentioned under "Microsoft Edge runs slowly, has trouble loading pages, or cannot connect" from this link.

Meantime, do let me know as to how do other web browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, etc. perform or do they have similar issues like the Microsoft Edge. 

All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

I downloaded Firefox and use that but it has a different issue in that it becomes unresponsive occassionally and then I have to shut it down and restart it. I've tried deleting it and re loading it and it is a bit better but it still happens occassionally.

I'll try the steps in the link you posted and let you know how it works out.

HP Recommended

Ran the Windows trouble shooter and it says Troubleshooting has compleed Problem found, Windows Store cache may be damaged. No indication of a fix but it says to reset and open Windows Store. I did that and there is no prompt to do anything else.

Went to next step of opening command prompt and entering sfc/scannow

I am the administrator but I'm getting this message..

C:\Users\scott>sfc/scannow

You must be an administrator running a console session in order to
use the sfc utility.

C:\Users\scott>

HP Recommended

Last thing was to check for windows updates

I did that and was advised that I am up to date.

Still can't close Microsoft Edge....

HP Recommended

Type cmd in the run box. Even if you are an admin you must choose to run command prompt as admin or it will run in standard mode. Then do sfc /scannow

HP Recommended

OK,

I right clicked on the bottom left corner, selected Run, typed in cmd, then I get a command prompt and typed in sfc/scannow but I'm getting the same message

"You must be an administrator running a console session in order to
use the sfc utility."

I must not be the administrator? How can I ensure that I am logged on as the administrator?

HP Recommended

OK,  I'm definitely have the Admin cmd prompt now. Ran the "sf c/scannow" No violations found...

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc/scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.