Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 6550b NoteBook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Info about my HP 6550b ProBook PC:

Intel Celeron CPU  P4600 @ 2.00GHz  2.00GHz

2 x 1GB RAM (1.86 GB usuable)

System Type: 64 - bit Operating System.

Running Windows 10 Pro.  

Query: I bought 2 x 4GB RAM  DDR3 1333MHz 204-pin Unbuffered SODIMM from CCL Computers Ltd. after researching the correct specifications on here for upgrading my RAM.

I installed this new RAM carefully and booted up my laptop only to be greeted by a blank / black screen.  I re-installed the new RAM and re-booted my laptop, which resulted in the same outcome. 

I contacted CCL Computers Ltd who recommended I return the RAM to them for testing. However, they also mentioned that I should contact the manufacturer (HP) and ask for their - your "QVL" (Qualified Vendor List) for successfully tested ~ known RAM.  

So, with the afore mentioned in mind, can you recommend a tested / known 4GB RAM that will work on my laptop, please?

It has already been mentioned somewhere on one of these forum pages to get "Corsair DDR3 4 GB Laptop RAM (CMSO4GX3M1A1600C11)"

I am also upgrading my laptop's HDD to SSD.  I have consulted your forum pages and read that a SSD with a 250GB capacity is the optimum size.  Can anyone offer any known / successfully upgraded SSDs makes for a laptop of my configuration, please?   (See the top of this message for my HP ProBook's specs.)

Your feedback and considered recommendations will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation of your response.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

Please see this post below...read through the entire thread.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Memory-upgrade-6550b/m-p/534055...

HP Recommended

Good afternoon Paul,

I appreciated your message and I have indeed read the entire thread.

As a non-techie, I haven't the background or knowledge to know the difference between all the various kinds & types of RAM...  Would I be right in thinking that I can get either the G. Skill 8GB (2x4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 (PC3 10666) Laptop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBSQ OR the Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBSQ?  I don't know the difference or the significance of their differences. 

I really don't have the time nor the money to go on a scouting expedition for the RAM so I am most grateful to you Paul for your message and the imformation.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Nigel.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Nigel.

You are correct.

If you can't get this memory...G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBSQ, sold in the United States and Canada (and maybe elsewhere), then you would get this memory... F3-10666CL9D-8GBSQ, that the forum member from the Netherlands was able to get there and confirmed that it worked on his machine.

All I can say is this memory upgrade issue exists on all HP notebooks (business and consumer) that have a Mobile Intel Series 5 chipset.

There are many posts regarding this problem, and the memory I recommended has worked every time.

Best Regards,

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks again Paul.

For anyone else who is faced with the same or similar challenges with their HP ProBook 6550b NoteBook PC.  I have found the required RAM which Paul has recommended to several others: 8GB (2x4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory at the following website:

http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342

and

8GB (2x4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Laptop Memory at the following website:

http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Descripti...

I will come back with an update just as soon as I have received and installed this new RAM.

Kind regards,

Nigel.

HP Recommended

Anytime, Nigel.

Glad to have been of assistance.

That is great news that you were able to get the same memory in the UK.

HP Recommended

Update - Sun 10th April 2016:

I've just ordered G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Laptop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBSQ for my HP ProBook 6550b NoteBook from "newegg.com", which are NOT Uk based as I thought, but are in fact in the USA.  

The 2x8GB RAM cost $43.77 + International shipping $19.17 = $62.94.  At time of typing this equates to £44.55, which I think is quite a reasonable price.  Estimated delivery: World EggSaver Standard 4-7 Business Days.

Further update on receipt and installation.  

HP Recommended

The 2 x G.Skill 4GB of F3-10666CL9D-8GBSQ RAM arrived today (Fri. 15th April '16).  Quick and easy to install.

My HP ProBook 6550b NoteBook PC accepted the new 8GB RAM straight away and is now working at a much better and acceptable rate / speed!   I am very pleased and relieved!

My sincere thanks to Paul. (See thread...)

Nigel.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Nigel.

I had every confidence that memory would work just fine for you.

Enjoy your rejuvenated notebook, and have a great weekend.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.