Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I don't mean to highjack the thread but I have an additional question that may be helpful for others performing the same type of recovery.

I ordered the recovery CDs for my HP 2000 Notebook just today.

To increase performance, I am also thinking of replacing the factory-installed 320GB hard disk drive (HDD) with a 240GB solid state drive (SSD).

QUESTION: Does the OS recovery CDs/DVDs need the drive to be the exact same size - 320GB? Obviously, WIndows will fit just fine of a 240GB drive. Does the recovery process recreate the recovery partition as well as part of the restoration process?

Thank you for your time and any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SBDavin wrote:

I don't mean to highjack the thread but I have an additional question that may be helpful for others performing the same type of recovery.

To increase performance, I am also thinking of replacing the factory-installed 320GB hard disk drive (HDD) with a 240GB solid state drive (SSD).

QUESTION: Does the OS recovery CDs/DVDs need the drive to be the exact same size - 320GB? Obviously, WIndows will fit just fine of a 240GB drive. Does the recovery process recreate the recovery partition as well as part of the restoration process?

It is advised not to go smaller on the replacement drive. SSD are pretty inexpensive for 500G right now. You don't want to go smaller. It doesn't have to be the exact same size but it should always be bigger not smaller. Factory recovery will create AS IS from the factory setup and recovery partition if you should use the Factory Recovery media.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@SBDavin wrote:

It is advised not to go smaller on the replacement drive. SSD are pretty inexpensive for 500G right now. You don't want to go smaller. It doesn't have to be the exact same size but it should always be bigger not smaller. Factory recovery will create AS IS from the factory setup and recovery partition if you should use the Factory Recovery media.

HP Recommended

Hi, CashNTango.

Unfortunately, I only have about $100 to spend on this laptop so I have to choose a smaller 240GB drive ($60) instead of a 512GB drive ($129, priced on Newegg).

I am going to spend another $30 upgrading the memory from 4GB to 8 GB RAM to eke out the very best performance.

The key thing you said that really helps me was that the drive does not have to be the exact same size.

Your post was extremely helpful!

Thank you for that information!

HP Recommended

Just make sure that you have enough room left over after the completion to save your own usage. This is why it's advocated to get a bigger drive for that reason.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.