Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 15-n208TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
  • I have HP Pavilion 15-n208TX notebook laptop which has 2 memory slots and 4GB RAM is pre installed in one of those slots. The product manual says that 12GB maximum RAM is supported and the machine supports following RAM slot combinations: 8+4, 4+4, 2+4. I want to upgrade my RAM but I was confused which combination to choose. Will there be dual channel support if I use 8GB+4GB combination considering all other specs are matching? Or should I purchase a 4GB module for 4GB+4GB combination for dual channel mode (8GB +8GB i can't afford right now)? Also is the effect of dual channel mode that significant? Because I wanted to upgrade the RAM to 12GB from 4GB if the single vs dual difference is not that significant for a normal user. I don't do gaming and heavy work I'm just a student who will be doing coding and embedded system designing on my machine.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can actually install 2 x 8 GB of memory in that model

The service manual is wrong with regard to the max.

If you can install 8 GB in one slot you can install 8 GB of memory in the other slot.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hP-Compaq/pavilion-15-n208tx

You will not have dual channel support when you install memory in mismatched capacities (4 GB + 8 GB).

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can actually install 2 x 8 GB of memory in that model

The service manual is wrong with regard to the max.

If you can install 8 GB in one slot you can install 8 GB of memory in the other slot.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hP-Compaq/pavilion-15-n208tx

You will not have dual channel support when you install memory in mismatched capacities (4 GB + 8 GB).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.