Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 17t-ab200 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I got my Pavilion 17, I had only the 128GB M.2 SSD for the C: drive. Well, when you put full-blown Windows 10 PRO and Microsoft Office on it... there's is not much left. Obviously, every program I added, I wound up have to spill over to the 2TB HDD 😧 Drive. Over time, the upgrades and such have whittled-down the room on the C:. There's just about nothing and it is not running well. So... I am wanting to know if I clone the 128GB to a larger M.2 (say 512GB or 1TB), extend into the available space to about half, can I FILECOPY the extended program files from the old HDD 😧 drive into a partition on the new-SSD and trick the laptop into believing they haven't moved? Thanks for any thoughts on this one.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @DonS-Prime,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you have an HP Pavilion 17t laptop with a configuration that includes a 128GB SSD (Solid State Drive) as the C: drive and a 2TB HDD (Hard Disk Drive) as the 😧 drive. This setup is quite common and offers a balance between the speed and responsiveness of an SSD for your operating system and frequently used applications (C: drive), while using the larger HDD for storing larger files and less frequently accessed data (D: drive).

Here's how the configuration you mentioned can benefit you:

C: Drive (128GB SSD):

1. Speed: SSDs are much faster than traditional HDDs, which means your operating system, applications, and files stored on the C: drive will load and run more quickly.
  2. Responsiveness: The laptop will generally feel more responsive and snappier, as tasks like booting up, launching applications, and searching for files will be significantly faster compared to an HDD.
  3. Durability: SSDs are more durable than HDDs because they have no moving parts, making them less susceptible to physical shocks or vibrations.
  4. Energy Efficiency: SSDs consume less power than HDDs, which can contribute to longer battery life on laptops.

😧 Drive (2TB HDD):

1. Storage Capacity: The 2TB HDD provides ample storage space for larger files, such as videos, photos, documents, and less frequently used applications.
  2. Cost-Effectiveness: HDDs offer a more cost-effective way to store large amounts of data compared to SSDs. This makes them a good choice for mass storage needs.
  3. Data Backup: Storing data on a separate drive (D:) can help keep your important files safe in case something happens to the C: drive. Regular backups are still recommended.

However, it's important to be aware of the limitations of this configuration:

Speed Difference: While the SSD will provide excellent speed for your operating system and frequently used programs on the C: drive, accessing larger files on the 😧 drive may be slower due to the HDD's lower speed compared to the SSD.

Storage Management: You'll need to manage your storage efficiently to prevent the C: drive from filling up with system and application files. Regularly move or uninstall unused applications from the C: drive to keep it from becoming overcrowded.

Program Installation: Some programs might automatically install to the C: drive, and you might need to manually choose the 😧 drive during installations to save space on the SSD.

Data Organization: You'll need to be diligent in organizing your data between the two drives to ensure that frequently accessed files are on the SSD for optimal performance, and larger files are on the HDD.

Overall, your setup is a good compromise between speed and storage capacity. It's important to manage your files and applications effectively to make the most of both drives and maintain your laptop's performance over time.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.