Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Stream
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

Hello, 

I have an HP Stream which is the memory is consistantly despite hardly anything being saved on the machine. I do have the windows package and i wondered if i could move this over to a 64GB micro SD card as this seams to be what is using up all the space. 

I dont intend to remove the SD card so is it possible to run windows from there?

If not, is there another way to use the SD card to make my machine work correctly. Curently it wont install updates as there is not enough space. I have deleted almost everything on it.

Many thanks for any help or advice.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The micro SD card is not bootable so can't run Windows but you can move all your library files (downloads, pictures Documents) to the SD card. 

You can also lean up Windows quite a bit with these tricks...no hibernation, smaller paging file, etc:

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reclaim-disk-space-windows-10

Windows 10 will only let you install software on the SD card to a limited extent but you can save some space by reinstalling programs and try to have the program files install on the SD card. 

Be sure to get a high quaiity high speed card...the faster ones are almost as fast as a hard drive while the cheaper and slower ones are just that. Buy the card from a photo store and ask the clerk what the fastest SD card they have may be. 

A good photo store won't even stock the slow ones. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended
Thanks very much I will give it a go.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.