Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-bc008tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Product Name: HP Pavilion 15-bc008tx : 

(a) Is the SSD in it PCIe / NVMe SSD (10 Gbit/sec), or is the SATA SSD (6Gbit/sec). 
(b) If it is SATA SSD, is there option to manually add/upgrade to PCIe / NVMe based SSD.

References for SSD types:

Thanks and Regards !
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You would be able to upgrade to a PCIe based M.2. 5 times as fast is a bit of a stretch in actual operation...more like 3. I get around roughly 500 mbps read/write on a SATA (about the same as a SATA 2.5 inch SSD) and more like 1500 on a PCIe M.2. This is not actually directly a link to HP. We are fellow end users and our best thing is upgrades, which HP does not support directly. As far as specific information about hardware features we do not have access to any more information than you do. If it's not in the specs or the white papers on the product, you would be best off chatting with an HP Sales support rep. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Oddly, the specs for your computer do not list what hard drive it has:

specs

If you go into device manager and tell us what is listed there for hard drive, we can tell if it is SATA or PCIe/NVME.

From the parts list it appears HP only delivered 128 gig SATA M.2 disks and the 256s and 512s are PCIe. 

The laptop is capable of taking either kind of drive. 

Service Manual

See p. 2. 

On page 29 you can see in the diagram after you remove the bottom cover with the back of the laptop facing up, the hard drive bay is in the upper right corner of the laptop and the M.2 slot is in the middle, to the left of the battery. 

Post back with any more questions. 

I can confirm having installed several M.2 disks that there is a difference between the SATA type and the PCIe type; both are fast but the PCIe is incredibly fast. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the kind and detailed reply ! 🙂

I am researching on certain details of few laptops I have shortlisted, before going ahead with buying one.

The parameters I want to be clear about HP Pavilion 15-bc008tx are:

1. SSD type

The purchase configuration seem to be M.2 SATA based on your answer. 

So I am looking to understand whether post purchase, its possible to manually upgrade to a PCIe SSD.

Reason: because PCIe based SSD's are almost 5 times faster than SATA SSDs.

Reference read: 

https://rog.asus.com/articles/product-news/ssd-guide-pci-express-m-2-msata-and-sata-express-the-diff...

2. PWM free display

I am looking to understand if this model is PWM free. Or in case it uses PWM, what's the frequency.

This is important for eyes, especially if one uses laptop for long everyday.

Reference read:

http://laptopmedia.com/highlights/what-is-pwm-why-is-it-important-and-why-did-we-add-this-test-to-ou...

3. Blue light filtering

Again, this is related to displays. Want to know whether this product incorporates blue light filtering.

Reference read:

https://www.asus.com/Microsite/2015/display/eye_care_technology/

=====

Since such fine details are not necessarily part of the specs available online, I have no option but to ask HP directly.

** Thanks again for your answer. Though I am not still sure whether I'll be able to upgrade to PCIe based SSD, post purchasing the default configuration

Thanks and Regards.

HP Recommended

You would be able to upgrade to a PCIe based M.2. 5 times as fast is a bit of a stretch in actual operation...more like 3. I get around roughly 500 mbps read/write on a SATA (about the same as a SATA 2.5 inch SSD) and more like 1500 on a PCIe M.2. This is not actually directly a link to HP. We are fellow end users and our best thing is upgrades, which HP does not support directly. As far as specific information about hardware features we do not have access to any more information than you do. If it's not in the specs or the white papers on the product, you would be best off chatting with an HP Sales support rep. 

HP Recommended

Thank you ! 🙂

"Accepted as solution" !! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.