Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 Not
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I am using HP Pavilion 15 Notebok PC (F6C42PA#ACJ). It came with Win 8.1 preinstalled on a 1 TB HDD. I have upgraded the OS to win 10 and now want to upgrade my HDD to a SSD. I was wondering if Transcend TS256GSSD370S and Samsung Evo 850 is compatible with my laptop. Also how to enable AHCI mode? I don't see any such option in BIOS.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

15-n203tx is the Model. Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

Hard drive compartment access is shown on p. 59. As you can see, it is a little bit involved. 

Don't fall into the overthink trap. The laptop is in ahci mode and you could not set it any other way. With Windows 10 an SSD will be automatically recognized as such and optimized. Your only real tech issue is getting the software onto the new SSD. Post back if you need help with that. 

The Samsung Evo 850 is my choice but the Transcend would work, too. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

15-n203tx is the Model. Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

Hard drive compartment access is shown on p. 59. As you can see, it is a little bit involved. 

Don't fall into the overthink trap. The laptop is in ahci mode and you could not set it any other way. With Windows 10 an SSD will be automatically recognized as such and optimized. Your only real tech issue is getting the software onto the new SSD. Post back if you need help with that. 

The Samsung Evo 850 is my choice but the Transcend would work, too. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for responding!

I will go for samsung 850 Evo. I think I will use the supplied magician software with Samsung SSD. Will it be all right?

HP Recommended

Yeah it works OK it is a version of Acronis True Image which is what I use. You will need a usb to SATA adapter which you can get for about $15 on amazon.com and don't skimp on the size of the SSD. Ideally, get one the same size as the hard drive but that can be expensive so get at a minimum a 240/256 and better yet, get a 500/512 size. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.