Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I am very satisfied with my notebook even htough it has some years. I would like either to increase the HDD capacity, actual is only 40Gb or to replace it with a SSD kind of HDD. Can you help me with suggestions for both options? Also if I replace HDD is it necessary to reinstall the OS or it can be done in an esier way? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I also think those classic HP business notebooks are some of the finest laptops ever made. The hard drive is a SATA type (newer) which means you can replace it with one of the SSDs commonly sold on the market. If you have been getting by with a 40 gig drive you are going to think you have died and gone to heaven even with a 128 gig SSD and the price of those is well less than $100 now. 

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

Pages 5-6 through 5-9. 

If you are happy with the way the laptop runs (no malware or such) then the best thing to do is just to clone the contents of the old drive onto the new using a "proportional resize". I use Acronis True Image Home combined with an external SATA to USB connector. Acronis makes a bootable disk from the program after installing it on the computer. Use that bootable CD to boot the computer and just run the clone disk operation with proportional resize, with the SSD connected externally through the usb adapter, then swap the drives and enjoy the speed. With Windows 7 there is very little if anything you need to do to make the SSD optimized. 

Here is an SSD I recommend:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721107

This is an unbelievably sweet deal at $71 with shipping for a 120 gig drive.

At that price you can add the $33 upgrade kit and still come in just over $100 which is where you want to be on an older laptop. The kit is all the hardware and software you need to clone the old drive to the new. The software is not Acronis but does the same thing. Enjoy and good luck.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812161002

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I also think those classic HP business notebooks are some of the finest laptops ever made. The hard drive is a SATA type (newer) which means you can replace it with one of the SSDs commonly sold on the market. If you have been getting by with a 40 gig drive you are going to think you have died and gone to heaven even with a 128 gig SSD and the price of those is well less than $100 now. 

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

Pages 5-6 through 5-9. 

If you are happy with the way the laptop runs (no malware or such) then the best thing to do is just to clone the contents of the old drive onto the new using a "proportional resize". I use Acronis True Image Home combined with an external SATA to USB connector. Acronis makes a bootable disk from the program after installing it on the computer. Use that bootable CD to boot the computer and just run the clone disk operation with proportional resize, with the SSD connected externally through the usb adapter, then swap the drives and enjoy the speed. With Windows 7 there is very little if anything you need to do to make the SSD optimized. 

Here is an SSD I recommend:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721107

This is an unbelievably sweet deal at $71 with shipping for a 120 gig drive.

At that price you can add the $33 upgrade kit and still come in just over $100 which is where you want to be on an older laptop. The kit is all the hardware and software you need to clone the old drive to the new. The software is not Acronis but does the same thing. Enjoy and good luck.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812161002

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

I recently upgraded mine with a SSD from OWC (they make SSD especially for MAC, but they run perfectly on PC as well). That increase of performance is really astonishing. I can boot into Windows 10 in about 40 seconds, in Windows 7 in about 45 seconds (including typing a password)...

HP Recommended
Hi to all. When finish ned ssd hd will also become boot disk? I've tried my ssd samsung 850 drive don't boot...
HP Recommended

@EMMELLE

Please start your own thread and give some detailed information on what you have done and how it is not working.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.