Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I don't suppose there's an update to this, is there.  It's the same for my Spectre 13 (brand new, born on date of 2/19.

No Advanced in Bios.  No options in the OS for backlit keyboards.

Thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Crstfr,

Welcome to the HP Support Community! 

• What is the product number for your computer?
  • What is the exact issue you are facing?
  • What is the operating system you are using?
  • Have you performed all the steps suggested in the thread?

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the Spectre 13-AP0023DX.

It's on the most current bios (no further updates), and windows 10.

I have no bios option for turning the keyboard backlight on all the time.  Or to enable the backlight key light. 

The keyboard backlight turns off after approximately 25-30 seconds, and I'd like for it to stay on all the time.

Thanks!

-christopher

HP Recommended

@Crstfr,

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

If the backlight stays on for only a few seconds, the backlight timeout setting might need configuring in the BIOS.

NOTE: 

If there is not a setting for the backlight timing in the BIOS, this behavior might not be supported on the notebook. Check your notebook model's product support documentation to confirm support.

Your BIOS version and screens might vary.

1. Restart the notebook, and then immediately press the F10 repeatedly until the BIOS opens.

2. When the BIOS opens, use the arrow keys to navigate to the Advanced tab.

3. Navigate to Built-in Device Options, and then press Enter.

The Advanced tab showing Built-in Device Option highlighted

4. In the Built-in Device Options, select Backlit keyboard timeout.

5. Press the spacebar to open the keyboard backlight settings, and then select the timeout setting you want.

NOTE: 

If you select Never, the backlight remains on which could quickly drain the notebook battery power.

Backlit keyboard timeout options

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, there's no mention of the backlight in my owner's manual, other than "press to light" and "press to turn off"

That setting doesn't exist in my bios (and with this Spectre, it's ESC to open the CMOS, and then f10 to get into the bios)

It's very frustrtating

I have the f22 bios, is there a version for this machine that will support the always on backlight?  I don't care about battery power - I care about being able to see the keys. 😉

HP Recommended

@Crstfr,

I would like to inform you that if the option is not there is BIOS then you will not be able to change the keyboard backlight timeout. The keyboard backlight goes off after a certain period of inactivity on the keyboard. This is by design to save power.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.