Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl012dx

I mostly use my notebook plugged in, and am then shocked when I go to use it NOT plugged in and my battery is almost completely drained.  I'm realizing that the connection between the USB-C charging cable and the charging port is NOT good.  The cable is apparently slipping out enough that it's not making contact, and I'm not noticing when that happens (because it doesn't actually fall out).

Any suggestions for fixing this bad connection, preferably easily?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @EmKay,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If your HP Spectre x360 USB-C charging cable is not making a good connection, there are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue.

• Check the cable and port: Inspect the USB-C charging cable for any visible damage such as frayed wires or bent pins. Also, examine the USB-C port on your laptop to ensure there is no debris or dirt obstructing the connection.
  • Try a different cable: If possible, test your laptop with a different USB-C charging cable to determine if the issue lies with the cable itself. If the new cable works fine, you'll know that the original cable is faulty and needs to be replaced.
  • Clean the USB-C port: Use compressed air or a soft brush to clean the USB-C port on your laptop. This can help remove any dirt or debris that may be preventing a solid connection.
  • Update your laptop's firmware and drivers: Visit the HP support website and check if there are any firmware or driver updates available for your Spectre x360 model. Keeping your laptop's software up to date can sometimes resolve compatibility issues.
  • Reset the power management settings: Sometimes, resetting the power management settings can help resolve charging-related issues. To do this, shut down your laptop, unplug it from the power source, and then press and hold the power button for about 15 seconds. Afterward, plug in the charger and try turning on your laptop.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

I thank you for responding, and I have used compressed air to clean both the connector on the cable and on the laptop.  I don't really know if this is solving the issue, though.  The USB-C ports/charging cable have ALWAYS felt a little loose, on this laptop.  

I no longer get the "charging" indicator from the battery/power icon, nor does it continue to show the battery filling, though it sometimes does do that briefly.  And it seems to charge up to 89%, but no further.

HP Recommended

Hi @EmKay,

Thank you for your response, 

Due to limited support, I would request you contact our HP Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link.

https://www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.