Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
13-4003dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

While using the laptop on vacation I attempted to connect to an external speaker via bluetooth. Every time I attempted to connect the computer screen would go black and restart. After the third or fourth time of this happening a warning message appeared saying that the laptop shut itself down due to overheating ( the laptop was on my lap for some of the shutdowns, but also on the table for others). It was then I noticed that the fan wasn't running at all. I stopped trying to connect to the speaker and instead continued using the laptop for picture transfer from a digital camera's SD card. The battery was ~50% percent so I decided to plug in the charger. The laptop did not show that it was charging. I stopped using the laptop for the rest of vacation in an attempt to preserve the remaining charge so that I may be able to back it up upon returning home. However by the time I returned home the battery had no charge remaining and the laptop will therefore not boot up. I have tried another charger with no luck (the charging light doesn't even light up) and have verified that both charges work by using them with another HP laptop. I have also kept the laptop charging for 24 hours to see if that would make a difference (but it didn't). I came across a post talking about a section of the motherboard that would fry and cause a singe mark. I opened up the back of the laptop to look for this, but did not see anything. The laptop is over 4 years old and therefore out of warranty, but I would prefer to not have to purchase another one if this one can be fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Ferris1369
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

This sounds like hardware related issue with the computer and it needs to be serviced. 
However, as you've mentioned its a four-year-old computer, I would suggest going for a new computer will be the best and value for money. 
Generally speaking, your typical mid-range laptop should last roughly three years. And if you take good care of your computer, it may even last a bit longer than that. You should expect to replace your computer once every four years. That's based on a cost analysis, plus the average time it takes to wear out the internal parts of the computer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.