Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6-7039TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Pavilion dv6 laptop. The default drive configuration is RAID. I recently upgraded to an SSD, and after reading from the Internet and using Samsung's software, I found that AHCI is better than RAID for single SSDs. How do I change this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK.

Windows 10 already has a newer driver included, so you are fine as Huffer stated.

If you go to your apps>Windows Administrative Tools>Defragment and Optimize Drives, you should be able to optimize your drive and the program will report the drive being trimmed.

That will let you know that your SSD is working as it should.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

That can't be done.

As long as you install the latest Intel RST driver from your notebook's support page, or get it from Intel, TRIM support is enabled in RAID mode since your notebook has a mobile Intel series 7 chipset.

You may find this discussion if interest to you, as your notebook is in the same status...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/How-to-enable-AHCI-for-HP-ENVY-...

This RST driver should work for your notebook...

VERSION: 11.6.5.1006

OPERATING SYSTEM(S):
Microsoft Windows 10 64
Microsoft Windows 8 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8.1 32 Bit
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 Bit

This package contains the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The Intel Rapid Storage Technology is designed to provide functionality for the Intel Storage Controllers. The driver improves Serial ATA (SATA) disk performance with Native Command Queuing.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63947.exe

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I tried the driver you provided the link to, but it gave me this warning:

driver warn.png

Should I still install it?

HP Recommended

Just leave it alone. The RAID includes all the instructions that are found in ahci so there is no need to change anything. Your SSD will function optimally, and there is no way to change it from RAID to AHCI anyway. 

HP Recommended

OK.

Windows 10 already has a newer driver included, so you are fine as Huffer stated.

If you go to your apps>Windows Administrative Tools>Defragment and Optimize Drives, you should be able to optimize your drive and the program will report the drive being trimmed.

That will let you know that your SSD is working as it should.

HP Recommended

Ok. It's just that Samsung's software  was highlighting this issue, so I was wondering if I could get AHCI.  Thank you for clarifying! Also ran a benchmark, and the RAID controller seems to be doing OK. 

benchmark.png

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, the Samsung program is unforgiving (and misleading).  If it isn't AHCI, then that's no good, is what it reports.

They should update it to include 'everything is OK in RAID' for notebooks with the Intel series 7 or newer chipsets.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.