Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Thanks justanothercog!! That is great advice. I took a knife and shaved the plastic on my USB connector and PRESTO it seems to work at USB 3.0 speeds (95-100mb/s). 

I had given up on getting it to work consistently at fast speeds. Hey Erico, this would be good advice to mark for further reference. It never appeared to be a contact issue but it might very well have been. In one of our previous posts it did start to work correctly but only for a little while. I didn't bother reposting when it slowed back down to 2.0 speeds. 

jay

HP Recommended
Am with you 100% here jdboe, have exactly the same problem with my usb3 port! Have never got the promised 'lightning fast, blinding transfer speeds' promised from usb3. have tried all of the re-installation steps myself to no avail. now what? is also my question.....hope you get your issue resolved soon and fair play for posting this question, which, i feel really needs to be addressed. best wishes, mark.
HP Recommended
3 of my usb put do not accept all external hard drives
HP Recommended

Hi achtungmark, My problem seems to have been that the usb device was not completely seated in the socket. The design of the laptop prevented this. I fixed the problem by using a knife to shave some of the plastic on my USB connector. This allowed the USB connector to penetrate deeper into the USB slot (only by a couple mm) and this seems to have fixed the problem.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am having the same problem with my Laptop Envy m6-1207TX with Windows 8.1 pro installed. My 3 of the USB 3.0 ports are only transferring around maximum 15MB/s rate.

I have tried to uninstall the driver "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" and reinstall with the driver "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" downloaded from Intel website and it still ended up wth the same transfer rate.

Please help.

Regards,

Ryan

HP Recommended

Hey Ryan, did you try using a knife to cut off some of the plastic on the USB connection? On my computer it looked like my USB device was inserted just fine but apparently it was not seated all the way in the socket. After shaving off some plastic that prevented it from going further into the socket, the USB 3.0 speed started to work.

HP Recommended

Hi jdboe, I just shaved the plastic on tbe USB and in fact it seems like it is making it worse. it is still transferring the similar rate.

HP Recommended

On my HP DV7 LM422AV it appears that the suposedly USB3 ports do not allow the connector to go in far enough.  There is no protrusion preventing it, only that the plug is not all the way in when seated fully and cannot be pushed in further.  Also, these are connectors without the blue identifier so that is probably the issue, a wrong or incompatible part being used.  Nothing can be done about it short of all of us sending in our notebooks en masse.

HP Recommended
I have HP OMEN 17' 16 GB RAM LAPTOP. I use WD ELEMENTS 3.0 SUPPORT external harddrive for transferring files but thought i got 16 gb ram trasfer speed is up to 6-7 mbps only.
PLZ HELP ME WITH THAT ONE
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.