Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 13-d001no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I have just received my HP Envy 13-d001no. As I expected I'm really enjoying it so far, but I am interested in upgrading to an even faster SSD with more storage on it. I'm looking at two different drives, namely the Samsung 850 EVO M.2 and the Samsung PRO 950 M.2. Both drives are M.2 (2280) form factor, but they differ in that the 850 EVO uses a SATA 6,0 Gbit/s-interface while the PRO 950 has a PCIe-interface.

I am not fully aware of the differences between these interfaces. I know PCIe allows for faster speeds, but are they both compatible with the new HP Envy 13? I can't find anywhere what interface and exact form factor of the currently installed SSD is, and I don't want to risk buying a new drive only for it not to fit or not to work on the laptop.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

According to the HP ENVY Notebook PC (model numbers used: 13-d000 through 13-d099) - Maintenance and Service Guide, this model supports the following; 

Solid-state drive
Support for M2 Serial ATA storage
Support for the following solid-state drive configurations:
512-MB, M2, SATA-3, supporting triple level cell (TLC)
256-MB, M2, SATA-3, supporting TLC
128-MB, M2, SATA-3, supporting TLC
128-MB, M2.2280, SATA-3

Based on this, it would appear that the Samsung 850 EVO M.2 is the correct upgrade for your computer.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

According to the HP ENVY Notebook PC (model numbers used: 13-d000 through 13-d099) - Maintenance and Service Guide, this model supports the following; 

Solid-state drive
Support for M2 Serial ATA storage
Support for the following solid-state drive configurations:
512-MB, M2, SATA-3, supporting triple level cell (TLC)
256-MB, M2, SATA-3, supporting TLC
128-MB, M2, SATA-3, supporting TLC
128-MB, M2.2280, SATA-3

Based on this, it would appear that the Samsung 850 EVO M.2 is the correct upgrade for your computer.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended
Please can you advice if I can upgrade memory ( ram) for my envy 13_d000
HP Recommended

Allow me to ask you a question based on your experience and your described hardware @ your signature....:

Have you ever succeded installing any SSD M.2 in your last described PC (HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx) and if so... how did you do this..

I'm having problems with my Samsung EVO 850 M.2 250gb not being recognized in OS nor by bios, I dont know what else i could try to get it working

My hardware is almost the same (ENVY x360 m6-w105dx)

Any Help whould be very nice and appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance

Ale

HP Recommended

Good afternoon.

I had to quickly go out and buy a laptop for my boss on Saturday, and ended up with a HP ENVY Notebook - 13-d001ns. However, it only comes with 8GB of RAM and a small, 256GB M.2 SSD. Since the work he does is RAM-consuming and he works with very large files, this is a problem.

The amount of RAM isn't the worst problem, but the size and performance of the M.2 SSD is urgent. I would like to upgrade with the brand new Samsung 960 Pro NVME PCIE 3.0 M.2 2280 SSD, either the 1 or 2 TB version, but the comments above suggest this would not be compatible, since the service manual only lists M.2 2280 SATA-3 drives. What would be your suggestion? Which is the best choice for this urgent and necessary upgrade?

Best regards

Daniel Holmquist

Marketing & IT Manager

Alamo Costa del Sol S.L.

HP Recommended
You can't It's not upgradable or replaceable
HP Recommended
I have Envy 13t-d100. I'd like to replace the hard drive. Can you recommend one??
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.