Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy M5L32EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I want to upgrade my notebook to SSD. I have read that my notebook has the facility for dual hard drives. Does anyone know if this is correct, and if so, what is the best way to migrate the operating system to the new SSD drive?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I use the Samsung 850 Evo. Best consumer SSD on the market although tends to cost a bit of a premium. The extra bucks for the "Pro" model is not worth it in my opinion. The consumer SSDs are plenty fast. 

OCZ, Kingston, Sandisk all also make good SSDs that tend to be discounted more. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

This Manual is not complete in terms of showing actual hard drive installation. In fact, it can take up to 3 hard drives. It can have a pair of 2.5 inch SATA SSD or hard drives and then also an M.2 mSSD drive at the same time. Installation of the second 2.5 inch drive and the M.2 is not shown very well, or at all in the Manual. We have had Forum members post pictures, however, showing the installation. The main 2.5 inch drive is shown on page 35 of the Manual and is installed in what I will call the lower left of the chassis. The second drive installs in the upper right corner. You would need the mounting hardware (caddy and cable and screws) to install a second 2.5 inch drive. None of this is authorized to the end user so you have to be preparted to lose the warranty although if the work is done properly that is generally not a problem. No guaranties, however. 

Hard drive connector cable 813795-001

Hard Drive Hardware Kit 813796-00

Post back with any more questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for that, would it be better to put the new SSD drive in the main (bottom left) position and swap the old drive to the top right position, or does it not really matter?

Would the bios need altering to boot from the new drive?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Yes you want the SSD in the primary position. The BIOS would not need to be changed in the sense that you have to install new BIOS, but you might have to change the boot order setting in the BIOS (easy to do). I do suggest flashing to the latest BIOS on this site before doing this, just to be sure and it is recommended maintenance, anyway. 

HP Recommended

I'm thinking of getting a Samsung 850 Evo or Pro, do you have an opinion on which would be the better purchase or suggest an alternative?

HP Recommended

I use the Samsung 850 Evo. Best consumer SSD on the market although tends to cost a bit of a premium. The extra bucks for the "Pro" model is not worth it in my opinion. The consumer SSDs are plenty fast. 

OCZ, Kingston, Sandisk all also make good SSDs that tend to be discounted more. 

HP Recommended

Ordered the 850 Evo, fitting kit and sata to USB cable to transfer the data. Flashed the bios to version F.36

Just need everything to arrive now!

Thanks for the help and advice, much appreciated.

Will let you know how it goes!

HP Recommended

Hi,

All installed, up and running!

Boot time from switch on is a fraction of what it used to be! I have the o/s and programmes on the SSD drive and am using the old drive for file storage. So far so good!

Thanks for all the help and advice, much appreciated.

Regards,

John.

HP Recommended

It is customary to mark the answer by the person who advised you as the solution rather than your own post, but glad to have been of help. Enjoy!

HP Recommended

Sorry! Think I have corrected it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.