Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Gaming Notebook 15 AK085NA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I hope someone can help. I have a HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook 15 AK0085NA which has an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz running Win 10, it is a reasonably good spec machine but as many HP owners discover it is only capable of 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi as it comes shipped with the Wireless LAN card - RT SANJI BGN 1x1 BT4 CB (part number 792204-001), this I know as I have had a look inside the machine. I would like to know what would be the best (fastest) 5Ghz card I could replace mine with to get 2Ghz, 5Ghz and Bluetooth 4.0. I also understand that I may also have to replace the Antenna as mine only has one as far as I can see but if it can be upgraded without doing this (by only having 5Ghz and BT 4.0), that would be OK.

I have looked at other posts but it seems certain parts only fit certain machines so I am a bit confused as to what adapter I need for the best results.

I already have the service manual for my model and of the three cards it lists on page 43 none of those are actually in my machine, the one that is fitted in my machine is part number 792204-001 (as stated above) and it does not even show up in a search of the manual.

I have read on other posts that if my machine has an intel processor then any intel card should work (as long as it has the same connections I presume) and as for HP support they do not help as the part the have put in the machine is not even listed in the manual.

So, am I forced to use one of the cards listed in the manual to give me 5Ghz Wi-Fi or can I use the one in the link below, which I believe is one of the latest out and the connections look the same and it has the same dimensions?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Dual-Wireless-AC-8265-2230-2x2-AC/dp/B01LCR1SKA/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_cp_6?... 

I also understand that as HP were tight on the antenna front I know I will have to either put in two new ones (or possibly just one additional new one), if this is also the case will either one or both from the link below do? I have just picked these at random for the time being as bearing in mind trying to find the correct HP ones is not easy and can be expensive seeing as I am based in the UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antenna-Laptop-Wireless-Internal-PCI-E/dp/B00DOTLJHW/ref=pd_sim_147_2?_enco...

If I need to supply any more info please ask.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

1. You have no whitelist. HP has not included it in models made since somewhere around Q4 2013. 

2. Yes you can use the wifi card that you linked. It is an M.2 form factor like the one in the laptop now. It is also currently the best one to have.

3. Yes, if you happen to only have a single wireless antenna the one you linked will work. 

Post back if you need any other help. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

1. You have no whitelist. HP has not included it in models made since somewhere around Q4 2013. 

2. Yes you can use the wifi card that you linked. It is an M.2 form factor like the one in the laptop now. It is also currently the best one to have.

3. Yes, if you happen to only have a single wireless antenna the one you linked will work. 

Post back if you need any other help. 

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for that, it is very much appreciated

Any othe advice you can give with the task ahead, e.g. is one of the connections on the card specific for 5Ghz (if so do you know which one) and if so could i just connect and coil up the 2Ghz one in the case to save me a bit of hassle, as it will be mostly used at home and on 5Ghz?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Nope the 5ghz connection demands two antennae. The card will not work with only a single antenna. 

HP Recommended

Sorry, maybe I didn't ask the question correctly, what I meant was can I connect the antenna that is already in the machine to the 5Ghz plug on the new card (if I can find out whether that is the Main or the Aux connection) and then use one of the new antenna I am buying to connect to the free connection and then rather than have to take the screen appart to route the additional antenna just coil it up in the base of the machine.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

No. First of all there is not a 5ghz and a 2.4ghz terminal on the card. Both antennae are needed and they both have to be arrayed so they can pick up signals. There is no half-way here. You have to install a second antenna properly or not worth the effort. 

HP Recommended

OK, thanks for that, looks like I have the full job to do then, all bits ordered hopefully get them next week, get the manual out and get on with it.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

HP Recommended

Re the Antenna I Linked that you thought would work (as I did), they wiil not as the connectors are too large to fit the card (they are Standard UF.L connectors).

I am now frantically searching for two Antennea that have the right size connectors for the new card I have purchased.

HP Recommended

Hi @Trevx6r

Did you eventually have any joy upgrading the wireless card on that gaming laptop? I have the same model and am finding the the factory installed one frustratingly intermittent.

Cheers

HP Recommended

@FUTChump

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking  here To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.