Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-da0032wm

This may be a bit complicated, but I really would welcome your help.

I have already upgraded the original base HDD on my laptop to a 2TB SATA SSD, and I want to replace it and upgrade to a 4TB SATA SSD of the same model (Crucial) for use as my base Windows system. However, I also want to disable the Optane Memory Module and replace it altogether with a 1TB or 2TB Nv.me module and use that as a secondary internal drive for possible dual booting for Linux-based ISO's, utilities and storing my Ventoy applications/boots. My question is: would I have to disable the Optane memory through the IRST app *before* I clone my original 2TB internal SSD drive to the 4TB drive, or do I wait until after the cloned drive is created before I disable Optane? Is there any issue if the cloned drive has Optane disabled before I switch out the Optane memory module? Also, is it possible to reformat the old 2TB SATA drive after it is cloned and use it for storage as a faux external SSD (via a SATA to USB cable connection)? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Anthony_JKenn 

You can disable Optane first then replace it using normal M.2 NVMe SSD as a normal drive (it may run slower speed). Please use the following Guide for dealing with Optane

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05591811

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Anthony_JKenn 

You can disable Optane first then replace it using normal M.2 NVMe SSD as a normal drive (it may run slower speed). Please use the following Guide for dealing with Optane

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05591811

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response; it was certainly helpful. 

After some further digging, I decided that it was better for me to leave well enough alone and simply upgrade the existing Optane memory to 32gb rather than switch it out for higher base memory, since I can simply use and reformat my existing HDD and the SSD I am orphaning for more storage. I'll just purchase an upgraded module and switch it out with the existing one. 

Will I still have to briefly disable the RST while I switch out the Optane memory modules?

Again, thanks for the response.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.