Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 820 G3 L4Q19AV
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a new Elitebook 820 G3 which I am surprised came without backlit keyboard which I thought is standard on this model.

Can I upgrade it now or is there some extra chip missing and it will never work? Is it just keyboard that needs to be replaced? I know there is an extra connector for backlit and I am not sure if my laptop has it build in (the connector).

Thank you very much in advance for any help/suggestions.

Regards,

Radek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Radekk1

Everything should be there for you to upgrade to the backlit keyboard.

You can make sure by checking if the ZIF connector is mounted to the system board.

HP EliteBook 820 G3 Notebook PC - Remove/Replace videos

http://h20464.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=7815289&MEID=07E15A5D-4006-405F-818E-406F35690E1B

Click on keyboard.

REO

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Radekk1

Everything should be there for you to upgrade to the backlit keyboard.

You can make sure by checking if the ZIF connector is mounted to the system board.

HP EliteBook 820 G3 Notebook PC - Remove/Replace videos

http://h20464.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=7815289&MEID=07E15A5D-4006-405F-818E-406F35690E1B

Click on keyboard.

REO

HP Recommended

How can I find the exact model  numbers for the keyboards. Ideally with international layout (two rows enter key).

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

And can you not love service here!!!! So fats and on point! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Just wanted to ask additional question (yet another one) but already found the anwser and hopefully it will help others as well.

I wanted to check if keyboards from 820 G2's or G1's will fit as you can find them much cheaper on ebay. However I can see now they are not compatible. The model number is different and the narrow "cable" is placed in a totally different place to the one on 820 G3 keyboard so you wouldn't be able to connect it.

Hope this answer "to myself" is correct and will help others before their purchase.

Radek

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.