Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-xf0000 (758R4AV)

I always have my laptop hooked up to an external monitor. The other day while playing Dragons Dogma 2 on my external monitor and watching Youtube on my laptop screen they both flashed black. Then my external monitor came back on but my laptop screen was still off and also the keyboard and touch pad switched off. 

I turned the laptop off and then couldn't boot up the laptop due to the keyboard being switched off. I unplugged the laptop charger and waited a few minutes then it switched on again.

I thought it might be a one time thing so I plug my monitor in again and start gaming again for it to happen to me again. But this time the laptop would not come on at all. It was 11pm so I decided to leave it until the morning.

So this morning I get it working again and decide to try playing a game again and once again the screen and keyboard switch off the but the monitor stays on. I decided to restart the laptop and then hit ESC as the laptop is booting up to try and run a diagnostic. But the screen and keyboard switched off while it was running the diagnostic!

With no way to get out of the diagnostic I closed my laptop and opened it again which brought back the keyboard and screen so I quickly exited the test in case I can't get out again.

Is this a hardware of software issue? I want to wipe my laptop clean and start again but I'm worried if my laptop will become unresponsive while the laptop is resetting.

My laptop has a 4070 8gb, AMD 7840HS & 32gb Ram.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Does it only happen when you have it connected to an external display?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

It sometimes happens when my laptop isn't hooked up to the external monitor. It seems to be playing video games that will almost guarantee it to happen

HP Recommended

Try running the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics system test with the external display disconnected.

Run the video test, memory and the hard disk test.

Does it only happen when you are using the discrete video solution?

Try using the on chip Intel HD video.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Do you mean the diagnostics you run when pressing ESC as the laptop boots up? cause I've done that already and everything passed except "onboard video" or something along those lines. It said the onboard video isn't there. This is also doing it without the monitor being plugged in.

While running the diagnostics my laptops screen went off again and the keyboard too. Closing the laptop and opening it brought it back on though.

HP Recommended

"I've done that already and everything passed except "onboard video" "

That means that your video has a problem that is causing system issues.

There should be a diagnostic error code that went with that onscreen error.

Is your laptop still in warranty or do you have a Care Pack?

I hope you do.

HP Recommended

1000008986.jpg

I ran the test again this is the results. My laptop is still in warranty I bought it back in Oct 23. So you think its a hardware issue and not something a full reset will fix?

HP Recommended

That unit is slow or unstable is definitely a sign of hardware issues.

It could be a memory, power or video module issue.

The onboard video is not available is a strange one error message.

Have you tried  going to Component tests and running the video test?

I would take advantage of the warranty, start a warranty case. Provide all of the information you have provided me and send it in for repair.

I will return to this post and provide a link for  warranty information. You will need to provide the serial number

Open the HP Support Assistant and go to the warranty section.

Here is the link

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1997147-1360222-16

HP Recommended

Thanks if you could provide the link that would help a lot.

Is the video test in the same area where i took the picture?

HP Recommended

@Rikimaru wrote:

Thanks if you could provide the link that would help a lot.

Is the video test in the same area where i took the picture?

It is in the same place where you selected system test.

There will be a component test section with options to test the components, including a video test.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.