Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion G7 1328dx notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Want to add more ram to my HP Pavilion G7 1328dx notebook PC with AMD A6 processor (I think). 

Believe it has two DDR3 SO laptop ram slots.  There are presently two sticks of 4GB of (DDR3 dual channel ram?) installed.

OS is Windows 10 64bit Home Edition.

Questions:

1) What is the maximum amount of ram that is supported in my notebook PC?

2) Does it need dual channel ram or would it also take the newer PC12800L (lite) ram?

3) Will this HP laptop support 2x8GB of ram for a total of 16GB?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No, not true.

Yes, there are new laptops that operate in single-channel only, you can install dual-channel memory but they will only run in single channel mode. For example, some systems with the newish AMD Carrizzo APU are single channel only and other systems have only 1 RAM slot so of course they will run in single channel only.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Max supported is 8GB. 

G7 1328dx Product Specs

* The "L" designation indicates 'Low Voltage'.

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
        If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply and for the explanation of what the "L" means.

I have read that new laptops sometimes use something called "Lite" ram where the author described that as less expensive single channel ram. 

Is that true? 

Do some new laptops only use single channel ram rather than dual channel?

HP Recommended

No, not true.

Yes, there are new laptops that operate in single-channel only, you can install dual-channel memory but they will only run in single channel mode. For example, some systems with the newish AMD Carrizzo APU are single channel only and other systems have only 1 RAM slot so of course they will run in single channel only.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.