Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ba008au
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

My laptop has AMD Quad-Core A8-7410 APU (2.2 GHz, up to 2.5 GHz, 2 MB cache) with 4 GB of RAM. I have 2 questions,

First, I want to extend my RAM, in the 2nd slot with 8GB. I had selected few for my need, but later after opening the back panel, I found out that the frequencies are different. The ram installed in my system is a Micron 4GB 1RX8 PC3L-14900s-13-13-b4.

The second thing I want to install is an SSD. But again I don't know which one will be compatible with my system.

I opened the back panel but could not find any m.2 slot in board. So, is it really not there or I just overlooked it? 

if there is no slot, shall I go for the caddy method?

if there is any, then please suggest me some 240gb SSD

Q:
1. Which RAM(8gb) will be compatible. 

2. What type of SSD will support my system?

Please help..IMG_20190502_202757.jpgIMG_20190502_202809.jpgIMG_20190502_204402.jpgIMG_20190502_204415.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Some computers are able to run memory in "dual channel" mode if you have 2 modules of the same size. Dual channel makes the memory about 8% faster which has a very small but noticeable impact overall. The speed increase from dual channel is not to be confused with the speed increase from additional memory. If the system is low on memory, going from 4 gigs to 12 gigs will have a major impact for the better. I usually tell people only to install same-size modules so they have dual channel operation but your motherboard will not do dual channel so mixing modules is OK. That Samsung module you ask about will be fine.

The only way on your system to have SSD + HDD is to use an optical (DVD) drive caddy. Put the SSD inside the laptop for best results and the HDD in the DVD bay caddy. 

Post again if this is still not enough info or please accept as solution if it is. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Here is the memory specified by HP:

PC3L, 12800, 1600-MHz
For use in models with AMD A8, A6, E2 processors
● 8-GB  693374-005
●4 GB   691740-005
●2 GB   691739-005

Not sure how your laptop got DDR3L-1866 memory installed into it as I have never seen HP put that kind of memory in its laptops. But it has the part number listed above for DDR3L-1600 memory. Weird. There is no need for 1866 speed as the system "bridges" (downclocks) DDR3L-1600 to -1333 speed and the system will not run any memory you put into it any faster than 1333 speed, anyway. Its also going to run the memory in single channel mode no matter what so adding an 8 gig to a 4 gig is a viable thing to do in your case. This is the kind of memory to get:

And that memory would likely mix fine with what you have in there.

There is no M.2 slot. M.2 SATA SSD compatibility is achieved by way of an adapter sled and cable where you put an M.2 disk in the bay where you could alternately put a 2.5 inch HDD or SSD. See p. 56 of the Service Manual here:

Save the money and effort to find the M.2 adapter board and just install a 2.5 inch SATA SSD such as Samsung Evo 860. Just as fast as a SATA M.2 and needs no additional mounting hardware, just replace the HDD with it. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. But, I did not really understand the last part.

". Its also going to run the memory in single channel mode no matter what so adding an 8 gig to a 4 gig is a viable thing to do in your case"

You mean to say that even if I add some extra ram (8 gigs or 4 gigs) it will not improve the performance(multitasking). 

If this is not the case, and I can actually add some extra ram for good, then will this do fine?

Samsung original 8GB 1 x 8GB 204-pin SODIMM DDR3 PC3L-12800 1600MHz ram memory module for laptops

because the product you mentioned is not available for me.

And for the SSD part, I would like to keep my HDD also. What would be the solution to that? 

HP Recommended

Some computers are able to run memory in "dual channel" mode if you have 2 modules of the same size. Dual channel makes the memory about 8% faster which has a very small but noticeable impact overall. The speed increase from dual channel is not to be confused with the speed increase from additional memory. If the system is low on memory, going from 4 gigs to 12 gigs will have a major impact for the better. I usually tell people only to install same-size modules so they have dual channel operation but your motherboard will not do dual channel so mixing modules is OK. That Samsung module you ask about will be fine.

The only way on your system to have SSD + HDD is to use an optical (DVD) drive caddy. Put the SSD inside the laptop for best results and the HDD in the DVD bay caddy. 

Post again if this is still not enough info or please accept as solution if it is. 

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Yes either will work but I would prefer the Samsung

HP Recommended

Thank You 
:clap:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.