Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy TS 15
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am not sure if I have win 8.1 pro or win 8.1

Says 8.1 pro in mscinfo but doesnt allow me to install win 8.1 pro features. Anyway that is not the issue I am writing about.

Issue is , I had my laptop crashed 1 month after I installed Win 10. it required HD replacement by HP, at which stage I was told not to ugrade to win 10 as my laptop will not handle it.

My Question is:

free upgrade to wn 10 ends soon.

what happens when my OS will no longer be supported by MS

What is actually the problem that causes HP notebooks to crash? Is there a feature in win 10 that can be turned off to avoid causing the crash?Atleast we can keep up with the updates!!

Need some help to understand what the actual issue is and if there has been some workaround found by now.

SD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your laptop came with Windows 8 not 8.1 Pro. The license key is embedded in the BIOS so if you try to install another version it will not activate. You need to install 8 or 10. I have actually had success on Windows 10 with that model series using the Windows 8.1 driver posted here but it is commonly said that the switchable video does not work right in Windows 10. That is, I am sure, why you were told not to upgrade to Windows 10. Do you have the original restore disks. If not I am sure HP still has disks available. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

We would need your full model number to comment intelligently but the question is not what causes HP laptops to crash (most do not and the ones that do it is a variety of reasons) but what is causing your laptop to crash. I suspect you have a hardware issue and most likely a problem with the hard drive or memory. Once Windows 10 has been installed and activated on your laptop it can always be reinstalled or reactivated. I am skeptical your laptop cannot "handle" Windows 10 but again, the devil is in the details and details are lacking here. 

So what is the status of your laptop now and how can we help?

HP Recommended

I thought I have already mentioned the model number?

HP envy TS 15 notebook. Let me know if you need anymore information.

The current state is the HD was replaced in Feb 2016. And I was told by HP staff not to upgrade to win 10!!

other details are:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro
Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP ENVY TS 15 Notebook PC
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU F0C91PA#ABG
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.66, 22/09/2015
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 147.82
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard

HP Recommended

15-j043tx. They likely said not to upgrade to Windows 10 because video drivers for the switchable GeForce graphics are not fully working under Windows 10. But as I understand you are getting problems even with Windows 8.1 for which the video driver should work fine. 

Can you get into UEFI diagnostics (F2 as you power up) and run a full hardware scan? That is the starting place. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your answer. is there no workaround for the video driver. Like using it only when needed or changing some settings etc?

With windows 8.1 pro (that is what was installed on my laptop earlier and looks like it is installed now), I am unable to add additional features that can be installed with win 8.1pro

When I try doing that from settings, it asks me for a key and doesnt allow me to add the one that shows under this PC property screen starting with 00180-

Apparently it expects me to have another key which I have no idea where to find!

Thanks for your guidance.

HP Recommended

Your laptop came with Windows 8 not 8.1 Pro. The license key is embedded in the BIOS so if you try to install another version it will not activate. You need to install 8 or 10. I have actually had success on Windows 10 with that model series using the Windows 8.1 driver posted here but it is commonly said that the switchable video does not work right in Windows 10. That is, I am sure, why you were told not to upgrade to Windows 10. Do you have the original restore disks. If not I am sure HP still has disks available. 

HP Recommended

I have a sticker at the bottom of the laptop which says windows pro

the screen says that too, so am not sure why it is windows 8 then?

I dont dare upgrading to windows 10 unless it is going to be workable as I have a billing software which requires reinstalling if I needed to restore, and it becomes an expensive affair. I would only upgrade if I know there is a workable workaround.

It is a dissappointment that HP couldn't get the product working with win 10. Looks like my experience with the HP laptop is riddled with constant issues. Not too happy. Thanks for your guidance

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.