Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ56
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

All the (F) keys are acting like the FN key is been held down when it isn't. This just started today. I have a free prog called "keyboard test utility". Now I found out I can get 1 clean tap of F4 and the keyboard test prog only shows F4 lit up. The next time I hit F4 the letter (P) and the Windows key are lit up. Now if I tap the FN button then tap the F4 button. Again F4 is the only 1 that is lit up on the test prog. It is almost like the FN button has flipped over. I just confirmed it. Instead of holding down the FN key to get the things under the (F) keys (like volume -, volume +, mute and so on). Now I have to hold down the FN key to get the regular F1 to F12 keys. The rest of the keyboard is fine. On a regular toggle switch or a push button switch in a radio. The FN key is acting like someone pulled off the wires from the back of the switch and reversed the wires so the switch will work in reverse. Beats me how that can happen to a laptop keyboard.

Steve

Steve-kc7byp
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Here are a couple of things to try.

1.  Shutdown the notebook.  Unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f9 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f5, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

2.  Try changing change the default action of the 'f' keys as follows.

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Bios option ( f10 ), then make the change shown in the document on the following link.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02035108&DocLang=en&docLocale=en_US&...

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

1.  Shutdown the notebook.  Unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f9 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f5, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Bios option ( f10 ), then make the change shown in the document on the following link.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02035108&DocLang=en&docLocale=en_US&...

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

@DavidPK wrote:

Hi,

Regards,

DP-K

Thanks Dave. Disabling FN key in the bios did the trick.

Steve

Steve-kc7byp
HP Recommended

Hi Steve,

You're welcome and good to hear it's Ok :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.