Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP G72-250US
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade the RAm in this compuuter. I purchased 2 sticks of 4gb of ram and when I installed it and restarted the computer it wound not start. Is there anything I should be doing before I install new RAM?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It will run 8 gigs of RAM but its an i3-350M and HP laptops with that first generation of Intel Core processors are very very finicky about their memory. Most DDR3 memory you find in stores or easily available online will not work. It needs DDR3-1333 1.5 volt and it requires low density modules which means 8 black blocks on the side of each not 4. 

Service Manual:

Manual

This would work even though it says for Mac...no such a thing as Mac memory:

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-10600-SODIMM-LAPTOP-MEMORY/dp/B0067GGPXC/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=15065...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi Jim,

Did you get DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM?

Try placing only one stick. Does it boot? Try the other stick.

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

It will run 8 gigs of RAM but its an i3-350M and HP laptops with that first generation of Intel Core processors are very very finicky about their memory. Most DDR3 memory you find in stores or easily available online will not work. It needs DDR3-1333 1.5 volt and it requires low density modules which means 8 black blocks on the side of each not 4. 

Service Manual:

Manual

This would work even though it says for Mac...no such a thing as Mac memory:

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-10600-SODIMM-LAPTOP-MEMORY/dp/B0067GGPXC/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=15065...

HP Recommended

I did not have the DDR3 1333 I had the DDR3 1666. I am reording the correct DDR3 but want to know if the PC3 number is important. I have seen PC33 10666 and 10600. Is this an important aspect.

Thank you,

Jim hammond

HP Recommended

The PC number is just another way to state the speed. DDR3-1600 = PC3-12800...same stuff. You need DDR3-1333 = PC3-10660

HP Recommended

Will PC3 10600 or PC3 10666 work?  It seems that is what is available.

HP Recommended

Yes those are both the same as DDR3-1333 but remember what else I told you. Has to be low density 8 black blocks on the side of the module, not 4.

HP Recommended

Thank you for all of the valuable information you gave me regarding the ram on this computer. I initially purchased the wrong speed and density and was rewarded with a screen that told me something was wrong but nothing else. You heve enlightened me and I want to thank you for that.

Thanks again,

Jim hammond

HP Recommended

On this Forum thanks takes the form of accepting a response as the Solution. 1. Its the only "compensation" we get as Experts and makes us feel useful; and 2 and more importatly it makes it easier for the information to be accessed by others with the same problem through search engines so spreads the wealth a bit. Glad you are happy.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.