Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp pavilion g4-1315dx notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Can I attach the keyboard that I use with my desktop computer (i.e., it has a cord that plugs into the back of the desktop with a round "jack" that appears to have 6 pins) to my notebook pc?  If I cannot plug it in directly, is there an "interface cable" or fitting of some kind that can be plugged into the notebook and that will also accept the keyboard's plug?  Do I have to have a wireless keyboard?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

jamesthompson

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The connector that you are talking about used to be called a PS/2 connector -- and they were used for both keyboards and mice.  The keyboard had a purple connector; the mouse had light green.

And yes, you can buy an adapter such that the keyboard ps/2 connector plugs into that, and the adapter plugs into any USB port on the laptop.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

jamesthompson

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The connector that you are talking about used to be called a PS/2 connector -- and they were used for both keyboards and mice.  The keyboard had a purple connector; the mouse had light green.

And yes, you can buy an adapter such that the keyboard ps/2 connector plugs into that, and the adapter plugs into any USB port on the laptop.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

The keyboard you have is called PS/2 and is an ancient interface going back to the very beginnings of the PC.  It is now obsolete. You still occasionally see desktops with PS/2 ports but not laptops. You can find usb (square slot that IS found on most current PCs) to PS/2 adapters that will allow you to attach that keyboard and also a PS/2 mouse to the laptop:

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-USB-1-1-Converter-TU-PS2/dp/B0007T27HI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=147233...

A usb or wireless keyboard would be a much better solution. 

Post back if you have any more questions. 

if this is 'the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.