Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6 1165 sa
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi. My fan is running pretty continuously. I've just fitted a new HDD and restored data. I remember I had this problem some time ago and I cured it by updating the BIOS.This time I've updated drivers and am getting no yellow excalmation marks on device manager. I've updated the BIOS. I've looked at the vents on the underside and they look clear.I've gone into task manager and shut down any programmes that were showing CPU usage (like chrome) and it's still running. The air coming out feels pretty hot. I took it outdoors to see if a burst of cold air would stop it but that didn't work. I don't really fancy dismantling it to clean the vents when they look clear from the outside. Any help woiuld be much appreciated.Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your reply. It appears that there was dust out of vision as when I blew compressed air as described on the HP website a large amount came out. The fan has been silent since. Thanks once again.Problem solved.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Update. CPU usage seems to be between 50-90%

HP Recommended

Hi @bren794,

Thank you for your query.

I grasp that you have recently replaced the hard drive and have updated the bios and drivers. You are not getting any errors but the notebook is running hot.   Did you check for  a chipset update? From the outside,the vents appear to be clear from dust and debris.  Here is a link that I believe will help you overcome this difficulty. HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating.

Please let me know the results.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".  To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs Up” below!  🙂  If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your reply. It appears that there was dust out of vision as when I blew compressed air as described on the HP website a large amount came out. The fan has been silent since. Thanks once again.Problem solved.

HP Recommended

Hi @bren794,

Thank you for the update.

As you stated your problem was resolved, would you be so kind as to click "Accepted Solution" to alert other members and visitors should they have a similar issue. To say thanks for helping, please click the "Thumbs Up" button below.

Have a wonderful day!

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.