Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
8570w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there, 

Recently added Samsung EVO 860 msata ssd on my HP8570w (on internal msata port) and install Windows OS and boot from it with no problems.

The problem is that my rear/write ssd speed which is around 250 mb and Samsung Magician software says that SATA 3 is available....so how to enable SATA 3 on msata port...

All the drivers are updated to newest versions...
BIOS is also updated and SATA speed is on 6gb/s in bios...

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

You have done all there is to do. Are you sure the mSATA mSSD is not operating at SATA 3 speed? 

HP Recommended
  • Yep...Samsung Magician says it is operating at SATA 2....HwInfo64 also...I can add some pictures.
  • Read and write speed is around 250-260 mb\s
HP Recommended

I will take your word. Not uncommon for ancillary ports to be a lesser SATA level such as the optical drive port and the mSATA. 

When the laptop was made mSATA mSSDs were not as fast as the Evo 860. Does something like Sysoft Sandra or speccy say the mSATA port is capable of SATA-III transfer?

HP Recommended

Here is pics from three different softs..

hwinfo.JPGsisoft sandra.JPGspeecy.JPG

HP Recommended

Even though the controller chip WOULD support SATA-III; only SATA-II is implemented on this motherboard. 

HP Recommended

So technical specs is not right and SATA 3 is not possible 😞

specs.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.