Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

This laptop of mine stoped booting today, when I press the bottun nothing happens, no lights, no sound, nothing. For a while I got an error about the battery not charging, but I always had it pluged in the power supply. Today, I booted it first, and by the time I pluged in the cable, it shut down and no matter what I did, it did not come back up. I believe this may be partially due to the battery recall. I always wondered why the fan kicks in quickly, but it worked. Now it seems the mother board may be effected. I want to know what is the issue, can hp replace anything which would fix this for me, and is it worth it for me to try to buy a part which would make it operational? 

Sean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here's the problem. The Manual for that model has always been "missing" on HP's site. If you go to the support page you get a manual for a model that used Quad Core i7 processors. 

Manual

This system board:

System board (includes replacement thermal material) With discrete graphics subsystem and 1-GB of dedicated memory 574902-001

These processors:

Processor (includes replacement thermal material) Intel CoreT i7-820-QM processor 1.73 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.06 GHz 583053-001 Intel CoreT i7-720-QM processor 1.6 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.8 GHz 586170-001

I believe this motherboard would fit in your laptop and you could install one of these processors. 

Your fan and heatsink should be the same. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/574902-001-HP-DV6-2000-laptop-motherboard-Intel-HM55-NVIDIA-Socket-G1-Teste...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i7-820QM-1-73GHz-Quad-Core-Mobile-Laptop-CPU-SLBLX-Socket-G1/222...

The total cost here is less than $100 and would provide a very significant upgrade. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

It probably needs to have the motherboard replaced. The model is old enough that motherboards will have come down in price, but new enough they are still available. You are likely looking at $100-150 from a reputable parts house. Does that seem worth it? Of course that price does not include any labor if you cannot replace it. Reasonable people could differ on whether to spend that much money on that laptop. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer- Thank you so much for the info. I like to try to replace it myself. Do you know if I can put in a faster CPU? The old one was i3, but if I can put in an i5, it would be great. That would be great. I am technical enough to want to give it a try. Can I ask for recommendations on which dealer to purchase from online? Would you share some Amazon/ebay links with me? 

HP Recommended

Here's the problem. The Manual for that model has always been "missing" on HP's site. If you go to the support page you get a manual for a model that used Quad Core i7 processors. 

Manual

This system board:

System board (includes replacement thermal material) With discrete graphics subsystem and 1-GB of dedicated memory 574902-001

These processors:

Processor (includes replacement thermal material) Intel CoreT i7-820-QM processor 1.73 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.06 GHz 583053-001 Intel CoreT i7-720-QM processor 1.6 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.8 GHz 586170-001

I believe this motherboard would fit in your laptop and you could install one of these processors. 

Your fan and heatsink should be the same. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/574902-001-HP-DV6-2000-laptop-motherboard-Intel-HM55-NVIDIA-Socket-G1-Teste...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i7-820QM-1-73GHz-Quad-Core-Mobile-Laptop-CPU-SLBLX-Socket-G1/222...

The total cost here is less than $100 and would provide a very significant upgrade. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

I decided to buy the parts, and do the upgrade; I think it is worth it. I also lost the power supply, and need a battery, but they cost a total of 10 bucks, so I am still getting a good deal. I wanted to ask a follow up question, and that is what would you recommend I review before I do this? I plan to look for procedures for changing the matherboard, and upgrading the cpu on youtube and will use some sort of grouding method while I handle the parts. Aside from that, do you have any advice? 

Sean

HP Recommended

Go slowly, have a system for marking the screws as you take them out and even maybe snap a couple cell phone pictures along the way. The step by step is spelled out in the Manual. I would watch the video but have a copy of the Manual next to you to follow along. 

HP Recommended

Thanks. The link for the CPU expired; would you mind sharing another? 

HP Recommended

Thanks. I think I definately need a grounding wrist strap, and while watchin motherboard replacement procedures , I noticed he was using some tweezers-like tool to pick up the cpu and place it into the slot. Is that necessary? What is it called please? I believe it is for preventing damage to cpu. 

HP Recommended

Most tech tool kits come with plastic tweezers or pincers. You definitely do not want to touch processor pins but you can do it with your fingers as long as you only hold the CPU by outside edges. You certainly want a plastic "spudger" which is like a small spatula to open the plastic casing. An old credit card will also work. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.