Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows Vista

I have downloaded the disk storage driver executable but don't really want to install it on my dell. I just need the driver files for my HP laptop I'm trying to revive. I'll put just the driver files on a USB to see if I can revive the disk on the HP machine. How do I extract the drivers from this executable without installing who knows what on a non HP machine?

BTW, what are my chances of reviving the C: drive with these driver files that currently can't be seen with the recovery disk?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone that wants a laptop for refurbishing/parts.

I usually take PC's I don't want anymore, to the local PC repair shop in town.

They are always happy to use one for spare parts.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi, Joe:

Use the free 7-zip file utility to break the executable file into its driver folder(s).

http://www.7-zip.org/

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to your second question.

HP Recommended

I ran the 7zip utility twice, once on the main .exe and then again on the .exe that was extracted. Which file is the driver file? Please see enclosed pic...drivers1.png

HP Recommended

Hi:

That is a file that can't be extracted any further.

What is the full model # (or product #) of your PC, and I will attached the zipped storage files only.

HP Recommended

It's a laptop:

HP Pavilion dv6500

s/n: [Personal Information Removed]

p/n: GS804UA#ABA

Running Win Vista Home Premium

Thanks!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I have zipped up and attached the Vista 32 bit storage drivers below.

The specific storage controller driver you need for your model is the Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller driver.

HP Recommended

Thanks for those drivers Paul. The disk is actually bad and needs to be replaced. So I now have a laptop without a disk and a Win Vista Home Premium license. Do you know anyone that wants such a laptop? Possibly for mem or parts? Thanks again.

-Joe

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone that wants a laptop for refurbishing/parts.

I usually take PC's I don't want anymore, to the local PC repair shop in town.

They are always happy to use one for spare parts.

HP Recommended

Thank you. I'm good to close this ticket. Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.