Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My Pavilion laptop intermittently types double letters.  I'm running windows 8.1 and the unit is about 6 weeks old.  It has done this eever since I got it.  I've look at other links to problems similar and checked the double key rate.  Also I've pluged in a generic keyboard and it appears not to do it.  

Any specific suggestions?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi Jimfh,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on your HP Pavilion Notebook  and keyboard issues. Here is a link to uninstall the keyboard. Restart the computer after uninstalling, it should reinstall automatically. If this does not help, what you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Let me know how this goes.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi, support folks,

I am ssttill having thee probleem as you sseee in this email.

More help needed, I removed the keyboarrdd ddrriver and reloaddedd.

the external keyboard is still working fine.

Thanks in advance

jim

HP Recommended

Hi Jimfh,

When you look in the device manager do you see more than 1 device under keyboards? Uninstall all that you see there, restart the computer it should install the keyboard driver. Was anything spilt on the keyboard?  Have you tried cleaning the keyboard and blowing out any debris with a spray can? If you can hook up an external keyboard it is not the drivers. Its the keyboard. Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and for all other regions click here.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

This is usually an easy problem to fix with HP laptops

HP keyboards are bit different that what MS default settings expect. Usually this can be fixed in keyboard settings.  In Windows 7 click the orb, in windows 8 bring up the menu OR just tap the Windows key if its on a keyboard

type in "keyboard" and click to keyboard [settings]

You may find the default Repeat dalay is the lowest possible setting. This rate is too short for the sensitivity of HP keyboards as the key signals down before its fully pressed, and doesn't stop until its halfway up.  Very clean, accurate keypress, mistaken for a hold.

Turn the delay up (Long) and this should stop it.

(I tried for weeks to find this in BIOS, but as of Windows 7 its now controlled by the OS)

HP Recommended

I have the samme issue annd it has done it ever since I bought it (Dec 2014).  I have tried adjusting the keyboard settings etc.  II am really frustrated because I boought this for woork and have tto continually go back and correct/erase my typiing.  This is a brannd new Pavilllion intel core i3.

HP Recommended

Unfortunatly it is an issue with nearly all modern laptops, and I am afraid the problem is mechanical.

In order to make laptops and keyboards as thin and lightweight as possible, they have forgotten about the elasticity of the plastics the keyboard is made of. So, imo, the problem is in the spring effect of the too-thin and too-elastic modern keyboards.

If the solution provided by Ppostma1 doesn't work (see the a couple of replies above this one), then I am afraid nothing will help, until HP and other producers of laptops decide to re-design their keyboards.

HP Recommended

HP is willing to replace keyboard and coolingfan for two times the price of the notebook. Ignores the guarantee and doesnt reply to my letters. Not the triple A company I thought it was. Don't buy a HP notebook.

HP Recommended

I do agree that there needs to be some attention paid to the keyboards by all manufacturers but I have to disagree that all keyboards do this on all laptops.  Each and every laptop that has this issue, whether HP or other,  is  not being made to quality standards which result in a poorly assembled unit or one that has a defective component that was poorly manufactured, like the keyboard.. Because I have seen this issue so many times on many specific laptops but have found exact models that were absolutely flawless in this regard and not one duplicate character other than mis-keyed characters

It's not the design. It's the quality control of the hardware being made and/or aassembled. Meaning it can be made to work properly if people took the time to make sure each part is made and assembled to the proper standards instead of focusing on the 6 pack of beer waiting for them after the shift ends.

I have the exact model and got 2 bad keyboards and then I paid a little extra to get one from a company that claimed they had high standards for quality control and guess what, it worked perfectly.  Point is, if a company is trying to meet a price point, they will cut corners by using a lower priced manufacturer for a given part and the keyboard is one of them. You can see many people selling the exact same spec when it comes to keyboard replacements but many people just assume those higher priced vendors are just ripping them off when in fact they just might be paying their people well and can justify their higher prices by their low return rate.

Also, when you have a company is not known for having great quality standards and are offering dirt cheap pricing for their manufacturing process, it leads to a bunch of refurbished products that are less than adequate for one reason or another, and then the products are sold so cheap in hopes that people will overlook the issue for at least the 90 days since thats typically when the warranty ends on refurbs. So they play roulette when we buy these poor quality laptops in hopes we do not have a problem and if we catch one aand it results in a return, they go to a refurbisshed tech and thy try it again on some frugal minded buyer who they hope won't catch anything wrong with the laptop and then, they finally get forced to actually fix them once the frugal guy figures that he was just sold a piece of worthless crap. HP knows they let a bunch of sub-par laptops out the door. They just hope to mix them in with the good ones hoping we don't catch the small glitches. They got screwed with a poor design or poor quality component so they try to minimize their loss by going through the process that goes from initial retail sale, to customer return, to refurb center, to frugal buyer, and back to refurb center and possibly again to another frugal target or perhaps it just gets thrown in the trash where it should have been put from day 1 when it should have beeen flagged as a lemon.

Don't give these companies any wiggle room as if their is a way to offset any blame. They can resolve these shortcomings if they want but when the resolution cost is not as profitable as trying to pull the wool over the eyes of hardworking customers like us, they take their chances because they worship the almighty dollar

HP Recommended

Thanks. That's very true. HP didn't react ever. They are just assemlers form parts, bought from various company's with dubious quality standards. I will never buy anything from HP.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.