Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ProBook 4530s
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

please help me with some advice, I have a problem with the laptop’s keyboard, I can’t use many keyboard buttons: 5, 6, minus, plus, backspace, delete, caps lock, apostrophe, 1 of the shifts, escape, in addition with not being able to type some letters(b, n, g, h) and now it types double different letters/numbers instead of just 1 when i press many letters/numbers of the keyboard, like when I press 2 it types 32, same for 3 it types 32, i types iu, w types ew, same with e it types ew, s and d type ds, y types ]y and so on.. 😞

I think I need to replace my keyboard, wich is a pretty complicated process, I searched "Removing and Replacing the Keyboard //my laptop model// ", I found a youtube clip for my laptop model:

HP ProBook 4530s Notebook PC - Removing and Replacing the Keyboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=161&v=0aVo5BfZitQ

I have my laptop since 2009 and I have not experienced such a thing until now. I think what caused the problem was the fact that I used to wipe the keyboard with napkins dipped in pharmaceutical/ethyl alcohol and so far it was ok, I had no problems, but the damage could have happened due to infiltration of the alcohol through the keyboard’s buttons, since the keyboards are sensitive to liquids spilled on them.

I read it could also be a problem with the motherboard(I think it’s the keyboard, though), in wich case is a very complicated situation, I need to take the laptop to a service to replace the motherboard. in Romania this costs about 80 dollars.

please help me, I can’t live without my good ol’ laptop nor can I do almost anything with a FAULTY KEYBOARD. who could?

ps: it took me very long to write this text, I literally had to copy/paste almost every letter from a text file that I filled with many letters, it was horrible. **bleep** it, why this life has to be so hard???

ps: When was the last time it worked fine? 10 day ago

Were there any hardware/software changes made? no

Have you tried using the onscreen keyboard? no

Have you tried using an external keyboard? no

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Check page 63of HP ProBook 4530s Notebook PC and HP ProBook 4730s Notebook PC - Maintenance and Service Guide for procedure to remove keyboard. May be then you can try to clean and dry underside and/or cable.

** I don't work for HP ** Click Blue Thumbs Up icon below if you like my answer
HP Recommended

10x for your answer. I think it’s the keyboard, after 10 years it has simply worn out.

HP Recommended

You can look for replacement keyboard at eBay and Amazon. Not expensive.

I got a new keyboard from eBay for an old Pavilion g7. After many years of heavy typing (Linux), the lettering on many keycaps were worn out.

** I don't work for HP ** Click Blue Thumbs Up icon below if you like my answer
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.