Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-db1060au
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been using this laptop for a good 4 years now and I never had any issues with it but suddenly after 25th of April this laptop suddenly started overheating reaching Temps above 90 degrees which is strange because before this laptop used to reach a max of 89 degress even while gaming so is there any fix to this

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @scz1,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Overheating issues in laptops can stem from several factors, especially after years of use. Here are some steps you can take to diagnose and potentially fix the overheating problem with your HP Notebook.

Clean the Laptop Internally

Dust Accumulation: Dust can accumulate inside the laptop, particularly in the cooling fans and vents, which can significantly reduce cooling efficiency.

How to Clean: Use compressed air to blow out dust from the vents. If comfortable, you can open the laptop and clean the internal components with compressed air and a soft brush. Ensure the laptop is powered off and the battery is removed (if possible) before opening it.

Check and Reapply Thermal Paste

Thermal Paste Degradation: Over time, the thermal paste between the CPU/GPU and the heat sink can dry out and lose its effectiveness.

Reapply Thermal Paste: Carefully remove the old thermal paste using isopropyl alcohol and a soft cloth, then apply a new layer of high-quality thermal paste.

Update or Rollback Drivers

Driver Issues: Sometimes, a driver update can cause the system to overheat due to improper power management or increased workload.

Check Drivers: Ensure all drivers, especially the graphics driver, are up to date. If the issue started after a recent update, consider rolling back to a previous driver version.

Check for Malware

Malware: Malicious software can run background processes that cause the CPU to overwork, leading to overheating.

Scan for Malware: Use a reliable antivirus or anti-malware program to scan your system and remove any threats.

Adjust Power Settings

Power Settings: Improper power settings can cause the laptop to overwork and overheat.

Power Plan: Switch to a balanced or power-saving plan instead of a high-performance plan. You can do this through the Control Panel > Power Options.

CPU Throttling: You can reduce the maximum processor state in the advanced power settings to prevent the CPU from running at full speed all the time.

Use a Cooling Pad

External Cooling: A cooling pad can help improve airflow around the laptop and assist in keeping temperatures down.

Check for Software Issues

Software Glitches: Sometimes, software updates or bugs can cause increased CPU usage.

Task Manager: Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and check for any processes using an unusually high amount of CPU resources. Investigate and address any such processes.

BIOS/UEFI Update

Firmware Updates: Manufacturers release BIOS/UEFI updates to fix hardware compatibility and performance issues.

Update BIOS/UEFI: Visit the HP support website, find the latest BIOS/UEFI version for your model, and follow the instructions to update it.

Monitor Temperatures and Performance

Temperature Monitoring: Use software like HWMonitor or Core Temp to monitor your laptop's temperatures and performance.

Logging: Monitor the temperatures under different usage scenarios to see if there is a pattern or specific cause of overheating.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

You should consider having the processor/cooler interface repasted with a good quality thermal paste. 

You can have that done at a laptop shop.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.