Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp dv6 7040tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

does my laptop support mSATA SSD? I'm planning to add a SSD to my laptop. I have 2 options:

1. Add a mSATA ssd 

2. Replace the current HDD with normal SSD and add the HDD using Caddy.

I'm not sure whether my laptop supports mSATA SSD. Can I add it to my laptop?

My computer specifications: HP dv6 7040tx

In the user guide, it has been provided that it supports mSATA of 16 GB. I'm not sure whether I can add 250 GB mSATA.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It does support an mSATA mSSD but not quite in the way you are thinking. Your laptop uses the first generation of hardware utilizing the mSATA. The mSATA was only used as a "cache" which speeds up a regular mechanical hard drive using Intel Rapid Storage technology. These are usually no larger than 32 gigs and when activated, bond with the mechanical drive in a type of RAID array. The cache holds boot files and commonly accessed program files and does speed the operation up quite a bit. It is just not as good as a pure SSD for sustained read and write operations. If a regular 2.5 inch hard drive is present in the main SATA bay the mSSD cannot be the boot drive. 

Your best and speediest configuration is to place a 2.5 inch SATA SSD in the main bay and then if you need storage use a DVD drive caddy. I don't really like those arrangements and since the price of SSDs has come down a bit a 1 TB is actually a viable option and should be all the storage anyone really needs. What with the cloud and all. And the mSATA disks are no faster than a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. 

Post back with any more questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

It does support an mSATA mSSD but not quite in the way you are thinking. Your laptop uses the first generation of hardware utilizing the mSATA. The mSATA was only used as a "cache" which speeds up a regular mechanical hard drive using Intel Rapid Storage technology. These are usually no larger than 32 gigs and when activated, bond with the mechanical drive in a type of RAID array. The cache holds boot files and commonly accessed program files and does speed the operation up quite a bit. It is just not as good as a pure SSD for sustained read and write operations. If a regular 2.5 inch hard drive is present in the main SATA bay the mSSD cannot be the boot drive. 

Your best and speediest configuration is to place a 2.5 inch SATA SSD in the main bay and then if you need storage use a DVD drive caddy. I don't really like those arrangements and since the price of SSDs has come down a bit a 1 TB is actually a viable option and should be all the storage anyone really needs. What with the cloud and all. And the mSATA disks are no faster than a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. 

Post back with any more questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.