Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp 15-r030wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade this laptop into a gaming one without the hassle of gutting it and starting from scratch.  

I have already upgraded from 4gb ram to 8gb ram and want to push it even further to a 16gb ram card.  (only one slot for ram)

I want to see about upgrading the graphics card or at least supplementing it with a more powerfult one to give it a boost.(currently looking into a few ways of connecting a desktop gpu via usb3.0 but not having much luck)

I will eventually need to swap the hard drive for a larger one so any advice on what will work is more than welcome.(original 500gb hdd died and was replaced by one of same size)

I am willing to upgrade just about any part necessary to accoplish my goal of a gaming laptop up to the motherboard.  If I need to upgrade the motherboard I will be making a portable desktop with scratch buit case and just go always plugged in.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

None of this is going to happen, I am sorry to rain on the parade. What you have there is a very low end inexpensive laptop. It has a weak processor and video chip on the motherboard and both are soldered on so there is no upgrade. There is a single memory slot and 8 gigs is the maximum. 

There is no way to add a video card that is worth anything by way of a usb 3.0 port. They do make such things but they are not for gaming, they are for people that just want to run lots of monitors for business purposes like a stockbroker that needs to have 4 monitors with stock ticker feeds. The response time is too slow for gaming. 

Save any money you would invest in trying to upgrade that machine. It is designed for email and facebook, not to run games. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@ADKWolf

Sorry but the CPU and GPU are soldered to the system board.

Your manual here.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04409502

REO

HP Recommended

None of this is going to happen, I am sorry to rain on the parade. What you have there is a very low end inexpensive laptop. It has a weak processor and video chip on the motherboard and both are soldered on so there is no upgrade. There is a single memory slot and 8 gigs is the maximum. 

There is no way to add a video card that is worth anything by way of a usb 3.0 port. They do make such things but they are not for gaming, they are for people that just want to run lots of monitors for business purposes like a stockbroker that needs to have 4 monitors with stock ticker feeds. The response time is too slow for gaming. 

Save any money you would invest in trying to upgrade that machine. It is designed for email and facebook, not to run games. 

HP Recommended

ok so I can't upgrade them with out swapping the board as well.  Is there any way to boost the performance or to supplement it?

Is there anyway to tell if the integrated gpu would be able to use part of a large ram card?

HP Recommended

There is no motherboard for that model series that would be worth the price it would cost. And no, no, no on the video. Everything is set and configured and you cannot change it. You don't think you could turn your cell phone into a gaming computer? This laptop is really a glorified cell phone with a bigger screen and no way to dial any phone numbers. It is a fixed package. 

HP Recommended

Alright, guess I will be saving to custom build a desktop.  I do want to note that I didn't buy this to make it a gaming laptop it just ended up being that I needed one and didn't want to spend a couple grand making a desktop when I thought I could upgrade this just enough to make it work.  

HP Recommended

Understood. You are not the first to ask similar questions and will not be the last. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.