Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 17-f053us
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Model #       17-f053us

Product #    G6R30UA#ABA 

Windows 8.1

I bought this laptop new 16 months ago and  both USB 3.0 port failed and it's now out of warranty.  I purchased a used mobo 763422-501 the same as the one in the computer now.  I've been reading on the board that after a mobo change you must reactivate windows 8.1 and the key is imbedded in the BIOS.  Is there a way to get the activation key from the BIOS before I start the replacement?  Do I need the activation key from the mobo that is in the computer now or from the replacement board? Are there any other pitfalls I might encounter with this replacement?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, I was referring to the board that came in the laptop. If the new board has a key embedded Windows may just pick it up-but if not you have the original key to use.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

If the motherboard is identical to the original you may luck up and not have to re-activate. Windows 8 being Windows 8- you probably will have to. Best to retrieve the key from original board before proceeding.

This shows 3 methods/tools for the task. Just wade through the ads and don't click the wrong link.:)

https://itsolutionsblog.net/3-ways-to-extract-the-windows-8-product-key/

HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick response.   I used RWEverything and extracted the activation key from the board in the computer before the swap.  When you said original board did you mean the the one that in the computer now before I start the swap?   I hope that didn't sound like to dumb of a question.

HP Recommended

Yes, I was referring to the board that came in the laptop. If the new board has a key embedded Windows may just pick it up-but if not you have the original key to use.

HP Recommended

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.