Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ZBook Studio G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, my audio hardware driver is up to date but the mute light is not working anymore. Please let me know when there is an update which will fix the problem.

My product number is T6E16UT#ABL

Thanks and regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

An update...

I reapplied Conexant HD Audio Driver 2015 (softpaq SP75820 ver 10.0.877.650Qp5) and finally got it to work.

The laptop acted strange after the required reboot. After login in, everything was black. Was able to launch taskmgr using ctrl-shift-esc sequence and was able to press ctrl-alt-del to get a menu to restart, which I did. After the reboot, still got a black screen but I let it go as my mouse cursor was telling me the system was idle then waiting for a process to complete (the turning wheel beside the mouse cursor was on and off).

Then... I was able to see the orange led once I pressed the mute button. It acted weird at first but it seems to sync with the action either be it using the hardware mute button, the tray icon or the fn-speak up/down...

So... this was my fix.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Does pressing the button still mute the sound in an application?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Erico,

I should have stated this before. The button is not changing from white to orange. However, pressing the button does affect the mute state of the speakers. The first time you press the button nothing seems to happen (and I haven't verified if the speakers are muted - sorry I do not have the laptop in front of me now). The second time you press the button the volume overlay display appear on screen and the third time it shows the speakers are muted but the button still displays white.

HP Recommended

Interesting.

Check in the systray to see if the sound icon displays that it is muted when you press the button. 

I do not see a BIOS update that adresses this nor have I seen any other owner reporting the issue. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Only the light does not change to orange when the system is muted. The system tray icon stay in sync with the overlay display. After rebooting when system is muted, it stays muted. Same goes if it was muted prior reboot.

Contrary to what I told before, the overlay display for the sound state does show the first time you press the hardware mute button - you just need to wait a few milliseconds for it to load... 🙂

HP Recommended

Normally the buttons are tied to the ActionKeys or the BIOS firmware.

This does not sound like a serious issue to me, but if it truly bothers you then contacting HP for Warrranty service would be the path to take.

I would also expect perfection, given the price of mobile workstations.  🙂

I can ask to have your issue escalated, if that is what you want. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for this feedback. Appreciated.

I will try contacting HP first - follow the normal route.

🙂

HP Recommended

An update...

I reapplied Conexant HD Audio Driver 2015 (softpaq SP75820 ver 10.0.877.650Qp5) and finally got it to work.

The laptop acted strange after the required reboot. After login in, everything was black. Was able to launch taskmgr using ctrl-shift-esc sequence and was able to press ctrl-alt-del to get a menu to restart, which I did. After the reboot, still got a black screen but I let it go as my mouse cursor was telling me the system was idle then waiting for a process to complete (the turning wheel beside the mouse cursor was on and off).

Then... I was able to see the orange led once I pressed the mute button. It acted weird at first but it seems to sync with the action either be it using the hardware mute button, the tray icon or the fn-speak up/down...

So... this was my fix.

HP Recommended

Great!

Mark your previous post as the accepted solution.

It may help someone else.

Your thread will come up in a Google search when someone with the same issue searches for a solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.