Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-f272wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was told by HP support agent that there is no way to upgrade my RAM (current RAM is stock), However, after browsing some more, I found the "Crucial" website, which said they had a compatible RAM for my device. (again, thats the HP 15-f272wm) What do I do? I need more RAM, but I can't afford to make a 70$+ mistake.. can anybody provide clarity for me?Screenshot_18.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Curtis_G wrote:

so nothing i can do but pay attention to my next computer purchase?

There really isn't much you can do to upgrade your notebook, aside from perhaps upgrading the hard disk to a PCIe 2.5" SSD. That would give you a performance increase of sorts, but it would do nothing to improve the notebook's gaming ability or processing power.

I wouldn't invest the $$  in that if I were you.

I do agree with you.  Choose carefully next time to ensure that you are buying a notebook that can be upgraded.

The best way to do that is to avoid buying an entry level model. Choose something a bit more midrange and mainstream.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @Curtis_G,

YES !!

As per the specs your PC has  Intel® Pentium® N3540 Microprocessor

SPECS : https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04936074

One SODIMM non-customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slot (Pentium, Celeron processors)

Service Manual

As you already know, you have a Bay Trail processor which means you have one memory slot and yes, it can be upgraded to an 8 gig DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM. See p. 30 for memory upgrade instructions. 

See here : http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/hp-15-f272wm

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again !!

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

What the HP Service agent was referring to is "One SODIMM non-customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slot (Pentium, Celeron processors)". That quote is from the Maintenence & Service guide for your notebook.

If you did not purchase a model with the Intel Core i3 or higher processors, the memory slot is not easily accessible.  The other models are easily upgradeable.

You are not going to get much better performance, even if you do manage to access the slot and upgrade the memory to 8 GB. The installed processor is the performance bottleneck you will not be able to overcome.  The processor is not upgradeable. It is integrated ( soldered) onto the motherboard and not a removable socket type processor.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I'm sorry, but could you dumb that down a bit for me? What i gathered from your statement is, it won't be easy, and it won't be worth the purchase price of the ram card.

HP Recommended

And whats this about processors? my issue is, when i go to play either online games or pc games, i get wicked lag... lag also occurs if i have more than 3 or four programs running.. (example: chrome, input mapper, project 64, and groove music all at once, computer lags so bad) I assume its a RAM issue.

HP Recommended

oh, and @erico, my processor is stock, the label here says intel N3540

HP Recommended

That is the Pentium version which is soldered onto the notebook's systemboard and, unfortunately,  not upgradeable.

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

@Curtis_G wrote:

There really isn't much you can do to upgrade your notebook, aside from perhaps upgrading the hard disk to a PCIe 2.5" SSD. That would give you a performance increase of sorts, but it would do nothing to improve the notebook's gaming ability or processing power.

I wouldn't invest the $$  in that if I were you.

I do agree with you.  Choose carefully next time to ensure that you are buying a notebook that can be upgraded.

The best way to do that is to avoid buying an entry level model. Choose something a bit more midrange and mainstream.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.